Which bike makes you smile when you ride it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
After finishing a couple of bikes today one of them had me grinning from ear to ear after riding it. Both were nice bikes made of Reynolds 531 and weighed about the same.

I can't put my finger on it but riding certain bikes don't have that certain something. I'm lucky I now have 3 bikes that put a big smile on my face. These are:

1. my frankenbike made from a pre 53 3 speed Humber with modern running gear. It weighs a ton but is so easy to ride.
2. My single speed sun snipe all chrome. Just so comfortable for a nice leisurely bike ride.
3. My unknown blue resto that just seems so nimble.

Wish I could determine what it is that makes a bike a cracking ride.

mustang1

Legendary Member
For me its not the bike that gives me the biggest smile but the type of ride. And for that I like my mtb because of the places I can ride it. Unlike my other bikes, this bike is used purely for fun and going out with the kids, attempting tricks, all the stuff I used to donwhen I was akid and before cycling became "serious". It's the bike I just take out and ride, no matter what shoes or clothes I'm wearing at the time. Just get, ride, do tricks, go into the woods.

But that's not to say I dislike my other bikes. I like the cx bike because it can be used most often, has MTB pedals so I can get off and walk whenever I like, looks a touch tatty so I can leave it on the street, mudguards, rack, wide tires ensures great practicality.

On the road though, nothing is as fast as my road bike. With such little effort it gathers real speed let alone when I apply the watts. That alone makes me smile, well, it would if I weren't out of breath all the time. Idk what it is about this bike but I can't seem to ride it slowly, I actually have to concentrate to ride it slow. Maybe it's the geo, who knows.

My Focus is a speed-machine. ( I, most definitely, am not!!) I have had it for 8 years and, every time I see it, and ride it, it makes me smile. But, when I see, and ride my Claud Butler Majestic, that makes me SMILE!! ^_^

At a bike show several years ago, I had the chance to test ride about 15 bikes around a mini, urban indoor test track (ie no MTB stunts). Most of the bikes were OK, but one stood out for the quality of ride: Pashley Princess.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
My new Boardman Ltd edition puts a huge grin on my face, as above I just love to ride it fast, the bike is built for speed so thats what it gets.
My Nishiki (I had a change of heart about selling it) it is just one of those bikes that has something about it, it is light, it has hybrid gearing and fairly wide tyres with the drops it could almost be a light tourer or a cyclo x, it just makes me smile when i ride it.

U

User32269

Mine is my Quinns. Keep meaning to sell it and get something more modern, but have never found anything that makes me grin as much. Think it's probably coz I only ever had crap bikes as a kid and spent hours drooling in Harry Quinns bike shop at skinny framed speed machines with ridiculously tight clearances.
I blame my parents!

ChrisEyles

Guru
Bikes which have put the biggest smiles on my face:

1) 1980s Puch Alpine - more because it was my first ever road bike than because it was a great bike, I suspect. Wish I still had it now.
2) 1960s Cinelli Riviera - easily the nicest bike I've ever owned, this one certainly has that wow factor in spades. Really shoots forward when you power down on the pedals and the only bike I feel happy doing fast downhill cornering on, plus it stays lovely and comfy on longer 4hrs+ rides.
3) 1930s Raleigh Roadster - lovely ride quality and heaps of character. Forces you to go a bit slower and the super-upright position is perfect for relaxing potters through the countryside (and I'm not plagued by any thoughts of cadence, average speeds etc etc)
4) 1990s Marin Hawk Hill - again not the greatest of bikes but MTB'ing is a real breath of fresh air for me, sheer silly fun

@mustang1 has got it right, it's the type of riding rather than the bike that makes the ride, for me.

However, I also always wonder what makes some of the old ten speeds such fantastic bikes too. Can't put my finger on it, but there is definitely something there, and evidently a lot of others agree!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've noticed that people riding 'sit up and beg' type bikes tend to grin from ear to ear. Roadies and MTB riders have no emotion. City/comfort bike riders just look like they don't want to go to work, and BMX riders just look stoned.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
My trike, now I've finished having an autistic panic session about buying it :ohmy:

It's comfy, quick and I love it.

I feel like a kid again out playing on my bike, I enjoy the ride as well as getting faster :wub:

Top Bottom