Which bike makes you smile when you ride it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The only time I've ever ridden a mountain bike was on holiday in Sweden. There was a ratty old mountain bike where we were staying, way too small for me and not in great nick but rideable. I rode it round some forest trails nearby - an absolute hoot.
519283.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
@FrankCrank its on my to do list to make a recumbent. Need to get a garage for storage first.

ChrisEyles

Guru
There's a tiny bit of skill required to using DT friction shifters where you slightly overshift and then trim back (especially if you have step-and-a-half gearing and change both front and rear simultaneously) and it's a lovely satisfying feeling when that gear smoothly snicks into place. For me the difference between DT friction shifters and STI/brifters is like that between driving a manual and an automatic car. There's just something intrinsically satisfying about the former while the latter feels somehow disconnected/remote.

I also enjoy using a slightly wider spaced old-school five speed freewheel so I'm not constantly changing gears - it's good to have to grunt away on the pedals or spin at 160rpm every once in a while.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

mustang1

Legendary Member
Why? Simplicity? Stops you hunting gears? Keeps you changing position?

Because that's the kind of bikes that were around when I was a kid!

tyred

Legendary Member
I would actually say this, much to many's surprise as most would see it as worthless junk but it's comfy, deceptively responsive, practical and I don't have to worry too much about theft or damaged. I've even toured on this.
DSCF1697.JPG

U

User42423

The only machine in my collection that really makes me smile, is my original Dursley Pedersen. I've ridden countless miles on it so far, & hope to continue for a long time to come.

Top Bottom