Which bike makes you smile when you ride it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contadino

Veteran
Somehow my Raleigh Record Ace seems to match my mood. If I'm of a mind to blast around country lanes, it feels like it responds accordingly. If I'm after a gentle pootle it somehow makes that all calming and Zen. My MTB feels like a one trick pony in comparison.

Probably blx, but that's how it feels, and one of the reasons I tend to reach for the Raleigh each time nowadays.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
any of my foldy stable. Newish Brompton - Venerable Birdy - Geriatric Dahon

and my Franken-Mountain Bike in the depths of snow

Soltydog

Legendary Member
All my bikes make me smile, but in different ways. My single speed probably makes me smile most, love riding without the garmin & looking at average speeds etc, but maybe its because I've only just built it, so its my 'newest' bike??

mustang1

Legendary Member
For me its not the bike that gives me the biggest smile but the type of ride. And for that I like my mtb because of the places I can ride it. Unlike my other bikes, this bike is used purely for fun and going out with the kids, attempting tricks, all the stuff I used to donwhen I was akid and before cycling became "serious". It's the bike I just take out and ride, no matter what shoes or clothes I'm wearing at the time. Just get, ride, do tricks, go into the woods.

But that's not to say I dislike my other bikes. I like the cx bike because it can be used most often, has MTB pedals so I can get off and walk whenever I like, looks a touch tatty so I can leave it on the street, mudguards, rack, wide tires ensures great practicality.

On the road though, nothing is as fast as my road bike. With such little effort it gathers real speed let alone when I apply the watts. That alone makes me smile, well, it would if I weren't out of breath all the time. Idk what it is about this bike but I can't seem to ride it slowly, I actually have to c
Bikes which have put the biggest smiles on my face:

1) 1980s Puch Alpine - more because it was my first ever road bike than because it was a great bike, I suspect. Wish I still had it now.
2) 1960s Cinelli Riviera - easily the nicest bike I've ever owned, this one certainly has that wow factor in spades. Really shoots forward when you power down on the pedals and the only bike I feel happy doing fast downhill cornering on, plus it stays lovely and comfy on longer 4hrs+ rides.
3) 1930s Raleigh Roadster - lovely ride quality and heaps of character. Forces you to go a bit slower and the super-upright position is perfect for relaxing potters through the countryside (and I'm not plagued by any thoughts of cadence, average speeds etc etc)
4) 1990s Marin Hawk Hill - again not the greatest of bikes but MTB'ing is a real breath of fresh air for me, sheer silly fun

@mustang1 has got it right, it's the type of riding rather than the bike that makes the ride, for me.

However, I also always wonder what makes some of the old ten speeds such fantastic bikes too. Can't put my finger on it, but there is definitely something there, and evidently a lot of others agree!
Downtube shifters!

Top Bottom