Which bike tyres to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoldenLamprey

Good choice. Life's too short to faff about with separate winter and summer tyres. I just use GP4000s all year (GP5000s next time they are changed)

Cerdic

Interesting the number of recommendations for Continental.

I've driven loads of cars fitted with Contis and been very unimpressed and so have never considered them for my bike.

Should I conclude that their car and bike operations share nothing but a logo?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Interesting the number of recommendations for Continental.

I've driven loads of cars fitted with Contis and been very unimpressed and so have never considered them for my bike.

Should I conclude that their car and bike operations share nothing but a logo?

Nope they share rubber mixes as well.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Vittoria Rubinos. The streets of west London are not exactly glass-free but the tyres perform pretty well and don't cost silly money.

Adam4868

Guru
This is going to be one of those threads where everyone lists their favourite tyres.
Nah...

goldcoastjon

Anon1502,

Three questions and some suggestions here:

1) What kind of riding are you doing and what bike(s) do you ride? What wheels are you using
(hubs, spokes, rims, rim tape tires, inner tubes)?

Have you checked your wheels to see if any protruding spokes, bad rim tape, rim defects, or other issues (like installing tires with tire irons or screwdrivers) are causing your flats?

Do you ride close to the edge of the road/gutter?

SUGGESTIONS
1) Getting out into the lane (where you'll be safer and more visible) reduces your exposure to glass, nails, and other puncture-causing bits. (Wear bright clothing to increase your visibility, too.)

2) Try to train your eyes to see -- and avoid -- grit, debris, and other signs of puncture-causing &^$! in the roadway. (It's always the glass or nail that you *don't* see that causes the flat but you can avoid more of them.)

3) If you are riding narrow (19-23mm) road tires at very high pressures (110 PSI-plus) and have the frame/brake clearance for them, switch to wider (26-30mm) tires at a lower pressure (65-90 PSI, depending). This will give you a more cushy ride, reduce your flats considerably, and probably decrease (or at least not impair) your rolling resistance.

4) Buy higher-quality tires and tubes. I have been riding Panaracer Paselas for 20+ years with *very few* punctures but they handle decently at speed and are not that heavy. If you want to avoid flats, more rubber (to a point) can be a good thing...

Keep us apprised of your progress in analyzing and fixing your issues...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My view is that unless you buy something bomb proof like Marathon Plus, it's a game of chance whether you get a puncture or not. I've had three punctures in a month and also no punctures in 6 months. Same tyres, same riding style.

But you do need to appreciate that the rolling resistance of tyres like Marathon Plus is far higher than something like Continental GP5000. Marathon Plus resistance is about 25W per tyre. GP5000 is about 9W per tyre. So a pair will mean 28W more resistance. That is a lot (I average about 160W on a ride so Marathons would slow me down by about 17%...say 14mph to 11.5mph

This is a very good resource for choosing tyres

Bicycle Rolling Resistance | Rolling Resistance Tests

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Anon1502,

Three questions and some suggestions here:

1) What kind of riding are you doing and what bike(s) do you ride? What wheels are you using
(hubs, spokes, rims, rim tape tires, inner tubes)?

Have you checked your wheels to see if any protruding spokes, bad rim tape, rim defects, or other issues (like installing tires with tire irons or screwdrivers) are causing your flats?

Do you ride close to the edge of the road/gutter?

SUGGESTIONS
1) Getting out into the lane (where you'll be safer and more visible) reduces your exposure to glass, nails, and other puncture-causing bits. (Wear bright clothing to increase your visibility, too.)

2) Try to train your eyes to see -- and avoid -- grit, debris, and other signs of puncture-causing &^$! in the roadway. (It's always the glass or nail that you *don't* see that causes the flat but you can avoid more of them.)

3) If you are riding narrow (19-23mm) road tires at very high pressures (110 PSI-plus) and have the frame/brake clearance for them, switch to wider (26-30mm) tires at a lower pressure (65-90 PSI, depending). This will give you a more cushy ride, reduce your flats considerably, and probably decrease (or at least not impair) your rolling resistance.

4) Buy higher-quality tires and tubes. I have been riding Panaracer Paselas for 20+ years with *very few* punctures but they handle decently at speed and are not that heavy. If you want to avoid flats, more rubber (to a point) can be a good thing...

Keep us apprised of your progress in analyzing and fixing your issues...
Hi,

1. I do urban riding (in the city) I have a road bike (specialized allez e5) . My wheels are:axis sport. I have specialized inner tubes. I don't know what to look for in my wheel, my technical knowledge is nonexistent regarding bikes. I don't ride next to the gutter or the edge of the road.

I live in the city so cycling in quiet lanes is not really a chance. I like to cycle in richmond park though. My tyres are 25x700mm. My tyres pressure is usually 90-100psi.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Schwalbe Marathon Greenguards are decent compromise of puncture and rolling resistance and are not as heavy as Marathon Plus. If you are riding in urban areas having the lightest tyres is probably not a priority. ~You could also consider fitting wider (28mm) tyres, or even going tubeless if your rims are suitable.

Top Bottom