Which bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Getting info on the Croix de Fere is easy compared to the Honky Inc, I've spent ages trying to confirm rear spacing, wheelset detail, bike weight and max tyre clearance with/without guards. I also found one posting from a guy that took delivery but it didn't come with the Avid BB7 but another mechanical disc.

I'm guessing the rear spacing is 130mm as it's a 10 speed setup but it would be nice to be able to verify these things.

OP
OP
BenScoobert

BenScoobert

Ive read 3 reviews on the croix, the more I read the more I like it.
Seems it wasn't accepted so well by the cycling community initially, but favour is swaying towards it.

A shop near me has it in stock, although its closed today, I'll go look at it tomorrow.

OP
OP
BenScoobert

BenScoobert

I'd have the £999 Cinelli myself but you sound like the Tricross Sport or Sirrus Comp would suit you very well, just need to check the fit (size, position, comfort) of the bikes really.

Stu

http://www.cyclesolu...Sport-2011.aspx

http://www.cyclesolu...e-Fer-2010.aspx

The sirrus has straight handlebars, I prefer drop. So £ for £ these are equal, any opinions on which is the better bike?

EDIT: almost forgot, the cinelli too, why would you choose that over the others?
http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p31464/Cinelli-Xperience-VeloceKhamsin-2010.aspx

Cyclist33

Similar really, the Tri sounds like it's a mix of road and mountain components whereas the Genesis is more roady. Tricross has a third chainring at the front too so more gears - useful if you cycle around hills much.

I would say they'd both be great to ride so it's up to your own aesthetics. The Tri does sound more durable off road though.

Norm

I would say they'd both be great to ride so it's up to your own aesthetics. The Tri does sound more durable off road though.
I've got a Tricross and it has shown itself to be as fast on the tarmac over 9 miles as my Secteur (mainly because I don't need to slow down for the crappy surfaces) and as fast on light trails & tow paths as my hard tail.

It has had plenty of abuse thrown at it and needed nothing more than a few tweaks to the gears.

OP
OP
BenScoobert

BenScoobert

Seems it wasn't accepted so well by the cycling community initially, but favour is swaying towards it.

A shop near me has it in stock, although its closed today, I'll go look at it tomorrow.

boo it wasn't in stock

I think some people were dubious of disc brakes on a dropped bar bike. I've never had discs but for commuting I think they'd be good. Another bike in a similar vein is the Marin Toscana :smile:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Disc brakes are soooo much better than rim brakes for stopping, especially in the wet...

OP
OP
BenScoobert

BenScoobert

I think some people were dubious of disc brakes on a dropped bar bike. I've never had discs but for commuting I think they'd be good. Another bike in a similar vein is the Marin Toscana :smile:
No marins on the list :-/

Disc brakes are soooo much better than rim brakes for stopping, especially in the wet...

I much prefer disc brakes, I like my brakes when i ask for them, not 5 seconds after in the wet

OP
OP
BenScoobert

BenScoobert

Decision made, croix de fer 2010 on its way, bit compulsive but hey ho, life would get boring if we planned everything and didn't have sporadic spending sprees

OP
OP
BenScoobert

BenScoobert

Woohoo...what size and where are you?.....just wondering like :whistle:

I'm 5'9", most would get a 54cm, but I have slightly longer body and short legs so i got a 56cm, felt much better on test rides on a 56cm on the Aether.

Hey nice one on the Croix!!

Are we using the 'successful recommending CC'ers get to have a go on the bike' rule then? :rolleyes:

Sure, can you get to Halifax?

Top Bottom