Which Brand Of Chain is Best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
I don't see any problem with removing all of the lubricant on the chain provided you put it back in again.

Indeed. However, it depends how much confidence you have that this will happen.

GilesM

Legendary Member
When most of my cycling was on the road I just used the wipe and lube method, but since I have been riding mainly off road in Scottish weather this method didn't seem to clean the chain properly and it still felt rough, I now clean it in white spirit, then oil with Finish Line wet lube, this seems to work really well and I haven't had chain life problems, just a lovely smooth transmission.

As for Chain type, recently switched from Shimano to SRAM, so far so good.

yello said:
KMC here too.

But, from the KMC page...

but Uncle Sheldon says...

So who to believe. I've been using a Park Tools chain cleaner for years and I can't say that I've shortened the life of my chains.

And can't say you've extended the life of your chains either I assume.

When I did my plumbing and gas training the mantra was 'If in doubt refer to the manufacturers instructions'. Much as I 'admire' Sheldon, his advice is not always sound, my money is on the actual engineering geezers who actually manufactured the actual chain.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I like KMC chains on all my bikes.

and i'm not getting involved in any more oiling discussions, but just to add to the mix, i now use cottage cheese as a lubricant as i was told it would help me lose weight

yenrod

[Out the way, out the way - wading into the fray :biggrin:]

Usually I'll grab the chain with a rag and backpeddle the chain thru it taking of the dirt then spray on some lube of some sort etc...

- I got told by the bikeshop that SRAM chains where snapping so they recommended KMC's.

yello

Steve Austin said:
just to add to the mix, i now use cottage cheese as a lubricantt

...and what do you use on your bike chain? :biggrin:

Question for Mickle, or anyone really. Solvent - KMC say not to use a chain cleaner with a "solvent". Any liquid is a solvent by my reckoning. So either they mean use the chain cleaner dry OR they don't regard all liquids as solvents.

I use a citrus degreaser but it sounds like some peoples advice would be to abandon that AND the chain cleaner for the wipe method. It's too damned confusing for innocents like me.

jimboalee

Renold.

jimboalee

Seriously... One is as good as another. Its a case of care and preventative maintenance.

I have heared that on SRAM chains, when you push the rivet through the plate, the rivet shaves a slice off the inside of the rivet hole, producing a loose joint and later a broken chain.
I remember there was one on this year's Vuelta.

If you buy ANY 9, 10 or 11 spd chain, because the metal is so thin, its best NOT to add links. Remove links to the correct length and use the 'quick link' provided.

I've been using Sedis/Sram for donkey's without problems.

DaveP

gbb said:
It's not REALLY neccessary to do it with solvents, compressed air etc etc...but if done properly, (as Mr Pig says, by drying the solvent cleaned chain in an oven, to get rid of all the traces of solvent that would otherwise immedaitely start attacking the new oil)...the benefits are undeniable.

Be careful here with the use of an oven as a “high” temperature followed by cooling in air could affect the properties of the metal used in the construction of the chain.

Chris James

Über Member
DaveP said:
Be careful here with the use of an oven as a “high” temperature followed by cooling in air could affect the properties of the metal used in the construction of the chain.

Yes, but how high? Domestic ovens only go to about 220 degrees C and I can't see that affecting the properties of any steel.

In a previous life we did post plating 'hydrogen bake outs' of high strength steel aerospace parts at 600 degrees for 8 hours and that was fine.

Top Bottom