Which breakfast before 60+ miles ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moxey

Hi folks, doing Manchester to blackpool this sunday and as the title says what is a good thing to eat before a longish ride. But keep in mind that i'm stopping in a hotel the night before so choices will be limited.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've heard that stoking up the night before with lots of pasta and stuff is just as important

(but no doubt someone will be along to correct me!)

potsy

Rambler
Will be interested to see the replies on this one as I'm doing it too,will be leaving the house at 6.30am so would not normally have anything that early,guess I would need to this time though.
Think I'll do the pasta night before thing though,that sounds good.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Make sure you are well hydrated the day before, pasta for tea.

Oats for supper and banana.

Breakfast more oats, tea orange, and keep hydrated before the start.

Whilst riding at least 500ml of energy drink per hour, and eat something every 10 miles - e.g. a slice of malt loaf, oat bar, banana.

This works for me on 100 mile rides.

PK99

Legendary Member
potsy said:
Will be interested to see the replies on this one as I'm doing it too,will be leaving the house at 6.30am so would not normally have anything that early,guess I would need to this time though.
Think I'll do the pasta night before thing though,that sounds good.

take a banana or two to have while waiting for the off

Spinney said:
I've heard that stoking up the night before with lots of pasta and stuff is just as important

(but no doubt someone will be along to correct me!)

Works for me, before a run I will (he says sounding like an expert when in fact it's only my second 10K on Sunday!) have a generously portioned pasta and potato salad.

Salad - psychological, it's healthy
Potato & Pasta - carbs!!

I would do that before a ride but I never plan those far ahead...I only tent to decide that morning what to do and where to go

You can't carbo load on the day of a morning ride, it's something you have to do the day/night before. Loads of pasta is always a good thing. On the day of the ride you want some a lightish breakfast, fruit, nuts, oats, eggs, peanut butter, yogurt. No heavy fats or pastries or breads. Muesli and yogurt yes, full english no.

During the ride you need plenty of water and replacement energy. You're favourite snack, trail mix, banana's, gummy bears. Something you can easily munch on as you ride. I like power drinks (you can make your own), but they're not to everyone's taste.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
This is all very useful as when I was out on Sunday there, I didn't qute prepare as well as I could have and ended up bonking badly for about the last 16 miles of my ride (I had to stop at least 3 times to rest and I was so bad that I ended up having to use 'Granny gear' just to get up even the smallest of hills, it was quite deprressing!).
Sports drinks and some oat bar thingimybobbers just about kept me together until I got to Gartocharn where I evetually succumed and got picked up instead.

It wasn't a pretty sight and to make matters worse, I was going into quite a bad headwind and I was sleep deprived (I had stared at 04.30 when the roads were all quiet) ...so yes, it wasn't a pretty sight!!

That said, my bike performed perfectly and helped to cut through the headwind as it's meant too (so it was a bonk at a reasonable speed if that makes sense), but alas, it was the idiot riding it who was the problem, not it.

I wont make that mistake again - prepare prepare PREPARE!!

Incidentally, I still haven't worked out my final mileage, seeing as I couldn't be bothered afterwards, but it is certainly a future ride for me to train on!! (up one side of Loch Lomond and then, via boat, back down the other side from Rowardennan via Drymen, etc).

Gixxerman

Guru
Well I personally don't change my eating habits before a big ride.
My meal the night before is nothing out of the ordinary.
My breakfast is usually the normal portion of crunchy nut conflakes or eggs and toast.
I take a couple of flapjacks with me and / or some Tesco trail mix (brilliant stuff) to eat whilst out, if a feel the need. But on most occaisions I don't touch the food I have taken. I just don't feel hungry whilst exercising. I never have. If anything, if I eat during exercise it usually makes me feel sick. I do drink loads of fluid though (water or orange squash). I have done 80+ (and one 100) mile rides using this regime and have never bonked yet.
If the ride is less than 30 miles or so I don't bother to eat anything or take any food with me.
I am not saying I am superhuman - it is just the way my body seems to function.
I am not suggesting that this is the best regime for everyone - it just works for me.

Top Bottom