Which carbon Steed and why?

Which road bike?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The Giant. I've just bought one (albeit further down the range) and am highly impressed with the spec, the build quality and how good it is to ride.

I'm sure the Cube has its advantages but I really can't be doing with what they do with the rear triangle, where it looks like they've grafted one on from a smaller bike - it just looks wrong.

bpsmith

Veteran
There is no mention of money:okay:
There is no mention of other bikes either. ;)

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
885734C0-B882-409A-8118-325CC9B17700.jpeg
Giant as Ultegra but would be tempted to upgrade wheels. Both look great though

The cube is ultegra.

Yes wheels are weak links.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Giants lack showroom appeal because the visible spec for the money is often lower than other bikes.

In this case, the Cube has hydraulic discs for about £150 less, so I can see why the friend went for the Cube.

After all, while a £1,000 carbon roadie is a nice bike it's hard to imagine what's written on the downtube will make much difference in use.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The TCR1 Advanced is a pure racing thoroughbred ! There may be more expensive bikes out there but that doesn't make them a better bike . Although i assume Derrick is just sticking up for his own brand of bike , Chavello isn't it Derrick ?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Giants lack showroom appeal because the visible spec for the money is often lower than other bikes.

In this case, the Cube has hydraulic discs for about £150 less, so I can see why the friend went for the Cube.

After all, while a £1,000 carbon roadie is a nice bike it's hard to imagine what's written on the downtube will make much difference in use.
You are wrong. Forget that link somebody assumed and posted. It doesn’t have disc brakes.

Attachments

• F3EC262F-75EA-46DF-9846-45B1C73A2790.jpeg
    F3EC262F-75EA-46DF-9846-45B1C73A2790.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 55

froze

Über Member
If it matters Bike Radar Review gave the Giant 5 stars and the cube 4. You also need to read about pro's and con's with disk brakes.

Personally I don't think disk brakes do a dang thing after I tested my rim brake bike against a friends disk brake bike. Here's the specs on that test: the combine weight of me and my bike was 87 1/2 pounds for me and 89 pounds for him; I was using Hutchinson Intensive 23c tires and he had Conti 4000s 25c; I have AL wheels he has CF wheels with an AL brake track; we adjusted our air according to the online Michelin inflation calculator and used the same pressure gauge; and do to a You Tube test done by 2 pro riders where the one rider altered the outcome by sliding back toward the rear of his bike which made his disk bike stop faster we made the rule that we had to stay in the center of the seat and not move; we did 3 sets of 3 tests one after the other without resting between stops to test brake fade, first set was at 15 mph, the second at 22 mph, and the third at 30 mph. What we found out was that after those stops he and I was within a foot of each other during the first 2 sets, sometimes I stopped shorter and sometimes he did which we attributed that to probably reaction time differences. Was interesting was at 30 mph I stopped faster ever single time, which we think was due to the disk brakes fading because the disks was so hot I burned my finger touching it, but the rims were not that hot, but still there wasn't more then a 2 foot difference, which probably would had started to increase further if we kept doing stops like that. The other thing you must consider with disk brakes is that it cost more to maintain them, but with rim brakes you wear out the rim faster, the end cost result is the same except with the disk brakes you spent a lot more time maintaining them. Some say rims on a bike get dirty because they're closer to the road, this is pure nonsense in an effort to push disk brakes, I've ridden rim brakes for over 40 years and never had an issue with the rims getting dirty do to be close to ground. Of course the final arguement is disk brakes work better in the rain, true but only to a point, a disk brake still won't stop until the water is wiped from the rotor surface but it wipes it faster because the rotor is not as large in diameter as a rim. And here's something the pro disk people don't want you know, rim brakes are disk brakes!!! think about that, you have a pad that contacts a metal surface, both do that, the rim brake has better fade resistence because it's larger surface area dissipates heat faster which is why my test proved that at the higher speeds after 6 previous ones after the third testing I was stopping shorter.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
If it matters Bike Radar Review gave the Giant 5 stars and the cube 4. You also need to read about pro's and con's with disk brakes.

Personally I don't think disk brakes do a dang thing after I tested my rim brake bike against a friends disk brake bike. Here's the specs on that test: the combine weight of me and my bike was 87 1/2 pounds for me and 89 pounds for him; I was using Hutchinson Intensive 23c tires and he had Conti 4000s 25c; I have AL wheels he has CF wheels with an AL brake track; we adjusted our air according to the online Michelin inflation calculator and used the same pressure gauge; and do to a You Tube test done by 2 pro riders where the one rider altered the outcome by sliding back toward the rear of his bike which made his disk bike stop faster we made the rule that we had to stay in the center of the seat and not move; we did 3 sets of 3 tests one after the other without resting between stops to test brake fade, first set was at 15 mph, the second at 22 mph, and the third at 30 mph. What we found out was that after those stops he and I was within a foot of each other during the first 2 sets, sometimes I stopped shorter and sometimes he did which we attributed that to probably reaction time differences. Was interesting was at 30 mph I stopped faster ever single time, which we think was due to the disk brakes fading because the disks was so hot I burned my finger touching it, but the rims were not that hot, but still there wasn't more then a 2 foot difference, which probably would had started to increase further if we kept doing stops like that. The other thing you must consider with disk brakes is that it cost more to maintain them, but with rim brakes you wear out the rim faster, the end cost result is the same except with the disk brakes you spent a lot more time maintaining them. Some say rims on a bike get dirty because they're closer to the road, this is pure nonsense in an effort to push disk brakes, I've ridden rim brakes for over 40 years and never had an issue with the rims getting dirty do to be close to ground. Of course the final arguement is disk brakes work better in the rain, true but only to a point, a disk brake still won't stop until the water is wiped from the rotor surface but it wipes it faster because the rotor is not as large in diameter as a rim. And here's something the pro disk people don't want you know, rim brakes are disk brakes!!! think about that, you have a pad that contacts a metal surface, both do that, the rim brake has better fade resistence because it's larger surface area dissipates heat faster which is why my test proved that at the higher speeds after 6 previous ones after the third testing I was stopping shorter.
You are right only the cube has ultegra rim brakes.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
How's your friend enjoying his new bike?
He hasn’t done many miles but I’m off to get my bibs on and meet him after this post. It does look very cool but I’m about performance not looks. He should have got a TCR or a super six instead but didn’t want to follow the crowd which is fair enough.

Top Bottom