Which Carlton is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Humm..... Midlife says it has an International look about it.
I noticed this international with the unusual Carlton decal and realised that it was almost the same as the hand painted one on my Carlton.
I haven't seen this decoration before and it makes me wonder if the artist restorer, was copying the original Carlton markings.

He could well be right, it did have chrome fork tips

OP
OP
henryt

henryt

It has a early-mid 60's International look about it, very nice :smile:

I'll wait for Spokesmann, our Carlton aficionado

Shaun
Your suspicion of it being an International model seems to have gained a little support. You indicated that you sold Carltons at some time. Can you remember if they carried a marking of "International" and where on the bike it may have been?
I will try carefully lifting sections of paint in likely areas.

midlife

Guru
Hi

I sold bikes in the 70s, the International of that era had plain lugs and was white with a 3 colour seat tube panel.

Nothing like your bike, Carlton recycled names and used the same name as models changed. There is a Ford Fiesta out today but it looks nothing like Ford's first Fiesta which came out when I was a teenager.

Shaun

OP
OP
henryt

henryt

Hi

I sold bikes in the 70s, the International of that era had plain lugs and was white with a 3 colour seat tube panel.

Nothing like your bike, Carlton recycled names and used the same name as models changed. There is a Ford Fiesta out today but it looks nothing like Ford's first Fiesta which came out when I was a teenager.

Shaun
I think then, that I may just use a period Carlton decal and forget about the model identification. My origins were Close to Carlton -in- Lindrick , hence my interest. I also live reasonably close to Dave Marsh and his business that has connections to the marque. I may ask him for a frame restoration quotation.

midlife

Guru
Cliff Pratt on Spring Bank in Hull? I bought a Carlton Corsair there in 1979-80-ish. Metallic brown/gold. Nice bike, kept it many years. Maybe we met?

Yep, the very same :smile:. 84-86 Spring Bank in Hull. Pound to a Penny I would have PDI'd and polished it if it was summer or Christmas time. I was at uni then but worked holiday times to make ends meet.... I hope it didn't break down :smile:

I was born in Worcester Road and went to Priory Road Juniors and moved onto Wold Road School. Happy days :biggrin:

Shaun

RichardB

Slightly retro
Yep, the very same :smile:. 84-86 Spring Bank in Hull. Pound to a Penny I would have PDI'd and polished it if it was summer or Christmas time. I was at uni then but worked holiday times to make ends meet.... I hope it didn't break down :smile:

I was born in Worcester Road and went to Priory Road Juniors and moved onto Wold Road School. Happy days :biggrin:

Shaun
Thinking back, it would be 1980 or 1981. I commuted into Hull (Hedon Road) from North Newbald for 3 years on it, then moved job to N Lincs and did the same (only flatter). It never let me down - the only thing I did with it was to change the 42T inner ring for a 36, mainly for the hill up to High Hunsley. I never really liked the colour scheme, so in the end I had it resprayed dark blue and it looked great. I left it behind when I got divorced, intending to reclaim it when the dust had settled, but never saw it again. Oh well, 34 years later, thanks for an excellent PDI!

midlife

Guru
Hi

Glad it didn't let you down, Carlton's were generally well screwed together :smile: Much better than Raleigh!

North Newbald was part of my old stomping ground, as I lived in west Hull it was easier to get out on my bike that way, North Cave, South Cave, Mk Weighton..... Stop off and buy an Aztec bar to keep me going. My Uncle built Buccaneers at Hawker Siddely at Brough. Just south of you was / is Brantingham and Spout Hill which we used to race up.

I use to travel to North Lincs on the Ferry to New Holland. :smile:

Shaun

RichardB

Slightly retro
I used to go between Newbald, Sancton, M Weighton, the Caves, Pock and Beverley when I wasn't commuting to East Hull. Arras Hill was a challenge!

Top Bottom