Which Chamois Cream? Assos - v - Moo cream or A.N.Other

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Relying on your boundless knowledge and experience here...

I have only ever used Moo Chamois Cream for my weekend/longer rides but was looking to try Assos as friends rant about it, however they haven't used another and Assos is about £6 more expensive, so... Is it worth it?

Your thoughts?...

stumpy66

Veteran
Are you happy with what you currently use?

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Never used any cream and did a 97 mile ride two weeks ago without any problems , so what works with one is different for another .

You pays your money you takes your choice

I used Sudocrem when our children were still in nappies (but the youngest is now 13) and petroleum jelly since then.

Both work fine, both wash off easily and neither seem to damage shorts in any way. I use them if going over 60 miles.

I imagine you could use the fat off a joint of lamb and it would work just as well.

Sent from my PC using a keyboard.

Hi all,

Relying on your boundless knowledge and experience here...

I have only ever used Moo Chamois Cream for my weekend/longer rides but was looking to try Assos as friends rant about it, however they haven't used another and Assos is about £6 more expensive, so... Is it worth it?

Your thoughts?...

in short - no. Assos is more expensive because it is more expensive. The 'Udderly Smooth' cream (presume that's what you meant) does exactly the same job.

kayaker

Regular
Used Assos creame which was fine no complaints had a nice tingle, but it was a gift so replaced it with Waitrose baby bottom butter which is £2.49 for a tub and seems to work fine, no tingle but a nice whiff of vanilla.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sudocreme. Cheap and effective.

This

I use Vaseline generally, but I do keep a tub of Assos for those special rides when I want to treat my meat :thumbsup:

It does what you want it to do, but I can't honestly say it's any more effective than anything else, which ergo makes it expensive really.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
400bhp, I thought you were kidding re "bottom butter" and got a mental picture of me surreptitiously slapping on the Lurpak before a ride, unil I read Kayakers post and my mind is now at rest!

I may just try Bottom Butter

Gary E

Veteran
After having undercarriage problems when I started doing longer rides I did what you're doing, I used the internet to find a solution.

Assos Chamois Creme (preRide) came up time and again so I ordered a tub from Chain Reaction (£11.99).

I've not tried any others because this one worked really well for me.

You should also consider how much you actually use each time, my tub is lasting ages so must only work out at a few pence per ride.

oldroadman

Veteran
Sudocrem always worked fine and was quite a favorite in the peloton years ago. Now you get supplied with all kinds of stuff, but Sudo is still used a lot. Vaseline is the LAST thing I would use, you want to keep yourself comfortable and reasonably clean/sterile which Sudo seems to do, when you are facing 200km plus day after day. Plus of course proper washing pre and post-ride, special attention to all the undercarriage bits! Start clean, stay comfy and clean, clean up afterwards. All the creams in the world won't prevent saddle sores, boils, infections, if the area is not kept clean.

Peteaud

Veteran
Being thick here as i have never used the stuff, but, err, how do you use it?

I presume you just slather it over / on your cheeks and nether regions.

Doesn,t it feel wrong, like youve just had a touch of the raving ab dabs.

you don't need to slap it on with a trowel - just apply liberally to areas of the skin which are prone to chafing like the inside tops of the legs and crotch area - that sort of thing. Some people actually take the name literally and cover the chamois of their shorts in the stuff, which is odd, because the modern stuff is not designed for that.

Top Bottom