Which cleats ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miklos

Veteran
Hi

Just bought a btwin ultra 700. This is my first road bike and I'm unsure which cleats/shoes are compatible with the pedals. The bike comes with a set of cleats for the pedals, the pedals are Comp VPR76.

I'm looking at buying shimano R088 shoes, will these be compatible.

Thanks

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Yes, the RO88 shoes can accomodate both SPD and SPD-SL cleats. The VP pedals you have with your new bike are SPD-SL.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That VPR76 is compatible with Shimano SPD-SL cleats so I would stick with that system as it's excellent.

SPDs are fine for commuters or mountain bikers who need to clip and unclip frequently or need mud clearance.

The Look Keo system is similar but I've given up on Look after a long string of annoying quality problems and a complacent letter from the UK importer.

SPD-SL gives a broader, more stable and hard-wearing platform and the cleats are more stable when walking. The Shimano pedals are excellent quality, genuinely fit and forget.

Don't ignore BTwin's own shoes, recently they reviewed very well indeed in Cycling Plus.

OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
Yes, the RO88 shoes can accomodate both SPD and SPD-SL cleats. The VP pedals you have with your new bike are SPD-SL.
That VPR76 is compatible with Shimano SPD-SL cleats so I would stick with that system as it's excellent.

SPDs are fine for commuters or mountain bikers who need to clip and unclip frequently or need mud clearance.

The Look Keo system is similar but I've given up on Look after a long string of annoying quality problems and a complacent letter from the UK importer.

SPD-SL gives a broader, more stable and hard-wearing platform and the cleats are more stable when walking. The Shimano pedals are excellent quality, genuinely fit and forget.

Don't ignore BTwin's own shoes, recently they reviewed very well indeed in Cycling Plus.
Thanks for the info

I like SPD-SL - but IMO the click in takes more time to master than SPD.
I always advise beginners to start with SPD - I still use these for commuting

J1888

Über Member
I like SPD-SL - but IMO the click in takes more time to master than SPD.
I always advise beginners to start with SPD - I still use these for commuting
Indeed.

I went from flat pedals to SPD-SL and couldn't master them, so swapped for two-sided SPDs, which were great.

After I got my new bike I changed back to SPD-SL and absolutely love them, find them dead easy to clip into now, and much prefer them to the double-sided SPDs that I have on my Hybrid.

mangid

Guru
Indeed.

I went from flat pedals to SPD-SL and couldn't master them, so swapped for two-sided SPDs, which were great.

After I got my new bike I changed back to SPD-SL and absolutely love them, find them dead easy to clip into now, and much prefer them to the double-sided SPDs that I have on my Hybrid.

I use single sided SPD pedals, Shimano PD-A600, on all my bikes. Easy to clip into, light, go on forever.

I use single sided SPD pedals, Shimano PD-A600, on all my bikes. Easy to clip into, light, go on forever.

Yep I use use SPD on side - flat on the other side - pedals from wellgo. That means you can cycle along normally on complex junctions etc - then click in when you on less stressful roads.

Horses for course I suppose - I know someone who floundered with every clipless system - but them found speedplay suited her just fine.....go figure !

Top Bottom