Which Cycle GPS (Garmin & Wahoo)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Hi,

I have sold some items so have some cash laying around for a GPS cycle computer. Having spent far to much time at work reading reviews I cannot come to a conclusion so thought i would ask here..

My requirements are..

1. Be able to load .GPX files
2. Be able to upload to Strava post ride
3. Be able to view all standard on screen data such as time, distance, speed and so on

I'm not looking for training patterns or power meters etc as only really a social / weekend club cyclist. The longest ride i do would be around 4 hours.

I have narrowed it down to the below and would welcome thoughts from those of you in the know who have experience with all, some or one of the units.

1. Garmin Edge 520
£200 from Wiggle
Seems to do all of the above
In Stock
No touch screen - not worried about that
Battery life when using sat-nav doesnt sound great

2. Garmin Edge 820
£280 from Wiggle
Not really sure what more i am getting for an extra £80
Battery life when using sat-nav doesnt sound great

3. Wahoo Bolt Elemnt GPS
£180 from Wiggle
All reviews suggest this is on a par with Garmin
Amazing battery life
BUT- everywhere out of stock. Speaking to Wahoo directly via Twitter they seem to think they are shipping this week but not sure how true that is. Wiggle stock suggest 2 to 4 weeks and being inpatient i dont really want to wait that long....Or should i..

Anything people can do to help me sway one way or another that would be much appreciated!

Many Thanks
Dan

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
If you cannot wait for the Elemnt to be back in stock why not just get one that has been freshly stolen for you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wahoo-Fit...553018?hash=item3d37b411fa:g:HTMAAOSwbsBXkl0o

Or use your smartphone in the interim whilst a non-stolen one arrives.

Obviously if you have already decided the Elemnt is what you want then the Garmin will always seem inferior, you're not going to improve the battery life unless you are Harry Potter.

13 rider

Guru
I'm currently waiting for my bolt to arrive ship date stated 18th Apr but not heard her .Went for it for ease of use via smartphone
Is the slightly larger elemnt not in stock same unit ,larger screen and not so aero

13 rider

Guru
If you cannot wait for the Elemnt to be back in stock why not just get one that has been freshly stolen for you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wahoo-Fit...553018?hash=item3d37b411fa:g:HTMAAOSwbsBXkl0o

Or use your smartphone in the interim whilst a non-stolen one arrives.

Obviously if you have already decided the Elemnt is what you want then the Garmin will always seem inferior, you're not going to improve the battery life unless you are Harry Potter.
That's the bolt bigger brother the plain elemnt so it won't be stolen

13 rider

Guru
Pulled the trigger on the Garmin - let me know what you think though
Which one 520 ? . Not much in it Garman or elemnt . Personal choice I went for elemnt as I do all my internet tough via an android tablet and elemnt interface with this seems easy . I'll let you now

Top Bottom