Which DA Jockey Wheel .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
.... goes at the top nearest the Cassette and which goes at the end of the mech cage?

IMG_4210.JPG

I can't flippin' remember .....

Mind you ... new ones might be an idea!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
.... goes at the top nearest the Cassette and which goes at the end of the mech cage?

View attachment 130314

I can't flippin' remember .....

Mind you ... new ones might be an idea!
It looks like the top one is the top one, it should have about a mil of sideways 'float' when fitted.

As a rule of thumb, the one with a cartridge bearing (on some pairs) goes at the bottom. This is because cartridge bearings can't float laterally and a journal bearing bushing is what the doctor ordered for that function, at the top.

Another rule of thumb: Some pulleys are offset from the axle's centre. This offset is to minimize the sideways pull of the chain on the bottom (tension) pulley when the owner cross-chains the gears. The offset should be to the right.

Another rule of thumb: Offset issues are easily solved if there are rotational arrows on the pulleys.

Another rule of thumb: Instead of saying top and bottom, some pulleys say Tension and Guide. Tension is at the bottom, guide at the top. Tension and Guide is the insider-speak version of drive-side and non-drive side and of course, totally unhelpful.

Another rule of thumb: Just feel for lateral float and put the floatiest one at the top.

Thus, by those definitions, I think the bottom one should go to the top. I contradict Raleighnut at my peril simply because the top bearing looks like a cartridge bearing to me. Has anyone seen where I put my specs?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As a rule of thumb, the one with a cartridge bearing (on some pairs) goes at the bottom. This is because cartridge bearings can't float laterally and a journal bearing bushing is what the doctor ordered for that function, at the top.

Another rule of thumb: Some pulleys are offset from the axle's centre. This offset is to minimize the sideways pull of the chain on the bottom (tension) pulley when the owner cross-chains the gears. The offset should be to the right.

Another rule of thumb: Offset issues are easily solved if there are rotational arrows on the pulleys.

Another rule of thumb: Instead of saying top and bottom, some pulleys say Tension and Guide. Tension is at the bottom, guide at the top. Tension and Guide is the insider-speak version of drive-side and non-drive side and of course, totally unhelpful.

Another rule of thumb: Just feel for lateral float and put the floatiest one at the top.

Thus, by those definitions, I think the bottom one should go to the top. I contradict Raleighnut at my peril simply because the top bearing looks like a cartridge bearing to me. Has anyone seen where I put my specs?

Note the use of It Looks, if I had em in front of me I could tell by which one had the sideways 'float.

It looks like the top one is the top one, it should have about a mil of sideways 'float' when fitted.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If you get it wrong I don't think you'll even notice.
I think I've had them the wrong way round since I last stripped them and to be honest didn't think they wee working too well. When I've reassembled I'll let you know!

Top Bottom