Which dashcam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Neice started driving about a year ago and has expressed a wish to use a dashcam to capture evidence should she be involved in a collision or altercation.

I have offered to buy her this as an Xmas present and a very quick initial search showed a large range of cameras priced around the £30 mark.

Not knowing much about the subject I am looking for any advice or pointers on what features make a good unit and recommendations of any particularly good ones or exceptional bargains....
TIA

D

Deleted member 26715

I have a Nextbase 312GW advantage it has it has GPS & WiFi so it tracks where you are & the speeds you're travelling which maybe of more use in the event of an accident. It is a well known make with support, but possibly more than you want to spend.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've a Garmin one, but I don't know the model offhand.

One that senses movement when the car is parked is handy, catches hit and run scum bags in car parks etc.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Nextbase 521 GW with WiFi etc for the truck.
Cheaper Nextbase hardwired in the car.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ok, thanks for the input so far. I am going to focus my search on the Nextbase models to start with but may change to lesser known brands when I see the £££££s

I can't think which will be best for her, hard wired or plug-in. As it is likely only me that would have to wire it in for her I guess a plug in system is the only option as she does live 200 miles away and I don't see her more than 5 or 6 times a year.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I used a Mobius Camera (about £40 off Ebay), for many years. It is not a dedicated Dash cam, but, can be configured as one. They are more commonly used by Model Aircraft Enthusiasts because of their compact dimensions and light weight. More recently, I bought a Yi dash cam (Ebay again) which I am very pleased with. The Yi is used in our Motorhome. In the car aI have an Ambrella Dashcam, again Ebay (yes, I am an Ebay addict ;) ).

There is a chap on YouTube who does Dashcam reviews (Techmoan is his "name").

Some sample footage, from the Yi, here:

View: https://youtu.be/hbgTlm2MXtY

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Ok, thanks for the input so far. I am going to focus my search on the Nextbase models to start with but may change to lesser known brands when I see the £££££s

I can't think which will be best for her, hard wired or plug-in. As it is likely only me that would have to wire it in for her I guess a plug in system is the only option as she does live 200 miles away and I don't see her more than 5 or 6 times a year.
I know it is more money for you but Halfords also fit them

Top Bottom