Which dashcam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If your budget is limited, Lidl is currently selling the Nextbase 112 at half price - just £24.99.
My local store has loads in stock.
Have already snapped up two of the 112s for £25ea from Rymans. One for the neice and decided to try one for myself too.
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I will hopefully remember to come back and post some feedback once I have tried it out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You an get kits that piggy back off the ODBCII port, and activate the camera automatically. My son hasn't bothered with this extra yet. Easy enough with a 2 port ciggy lighter socket charger.

The Nextbase 112 looks great for the money.

gbb

Legendary Member
I brought a cheap Orskey off Amazon, less than £25 and probably a bit too cheap with hindsight. Its fine, it overwrites itself on the memory card but thats no problem and probably normal...but the playback is a tad grainy and you have to almost freeze frame in playback to read any numberplates.
Basic, does the job but far less than perfect.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My nextbase doesn't shut down unless i turn it off.

Is this normal, i do have it permanently live power feed so its maybe that.
But i read they auto off after 15mins of inactivity?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My nextbase doesn't shut down unless i turn it off.

Is this normal, i do have it permanently live power feed so its maybe that.
But i read they auto off after 15mins of inactivity?

Never had a Nextbase (only cheapo Ebay cameras), but, when connected via "live when ignition on" feed they have all started recording when ignition turned on, and, switched off shortly after ignition off. I assume the slight delay when ignition off, is to allow camera to write the final "clip" to the memory card.

Another thought, perhaps, the "Auto Off" is a configurable (in settings) parameter?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Never had a Nextbase (only cheapo Ebay cameras), but, when connected via "live when ignition on" feed they have all started recording when ignition turned on, and, switched off shortly after ignition off. I assume the slight delay when ignition off, is to allow camera to write the final "clip" to the memory card.

Another thought, perhaps, the "Auto Off" is a configurable (in settings) parameter?

Problem i had when fitting was the piggy back fuse was the old standard.
My fiat use the micro fuses.
Not a major problem as i can geta fuse to switch power if i cant sort the camera power off.

So the power is permanently live, as i linked it to my central locking.
I just plugged the piggy back fuse to the central locking which i fitted when the van was new.... I know, fiat thought just a key entry was ok on a 2015 van :laugh: so i had to fit a hawk entry system, which was a pita if im honest as it needed capacitors to work.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Problem i had when fitting was the piggy back fuse was the old standard.
My fiat use the micro fuses.
Not a major problem as i can geta fuse to switch power if i cant sort the camera power off.

So the power is permanently live, as i linked it to my central locking.
I just plugged the piggy back fuse to the central locking which i fitted when the van was new.... I know, fiat thought just a key entry was ok on a 2015 van :laugh: so i had to fit a hawk entry system, which was a pita if im honest as it needed capacitors to work.

Is it not possible to buy a piggy back micro fuse? and piggy back of a Ignition-on live?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Is it not possible to buy a piggy back micro fuse? and piggy back of a Ignition-on live?

Yes i got one, and now in a switched circuit, dashcam switches on and off when i turn the ignition on and off.
Perfect.

As its in my van ive now put the screen saver on.... I keep thinking its a rear view mirror:laugh:
And looking at the bloody thing to see what's behind:banghead:. I know, been driving vans for decades with steel bulkheads so door mirrors only.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Next base 120 is £36 at currys atm down from £49

I don't like the idea of a dashcam, a negative investment in the hope something awful might happen and give me some joy from capturing it? Bah himbug :wacko:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't like the idea of a dashcam, a negative investment in the hope something awful might happen and give me some joy from capturing it? Bah himbug :wacko:
In case something awful happens. Three years ago I got hit head-on on a single track road. It was low speed, I had stopped in time but the other guy was going a bit too quick and didn't. He hit me a glancing blow on the bumper which I managed to get sorted for a hundred quid but he ended up in a ditch and did three and a half grands worth of damage. Luckily he was straight about it and put his hands up to his insurers, but if he hadn't it would have been settled as knock for knock and my no claims would have gone. That's when I decided a dash cam would be a good idea.

Keep considering one for daughters car

One thing that may have to be considered for some people
Not inferring anyone here drives recklessly

BUT, it could also be evidence of you speeding/driving recklessly (without due care), prior to an incident

Oh, & ..........
How long do cards last?
Eg; a 128Gb card, in length of recording time

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A 32gb card gives me about 4. 1/2 hours in ten minute segments before overwriting. You can save individual segments if you need to.

As regards incriminating yourself, If I caused an accident I would put my hands up to it rather than try to blame the innocent party.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Keep considering one for daughters car

One thing that may have to be considered for some people
Not inferring anyone here drives recklessly

BUT, it could also be evidence of you speeding/driving recklessly (without due care), prior to an incident

Oh, & ..........
How long do cards last?
Eg; a 128Gb card, in length of recording time

Mines set at 2mins
They auto delete, so when full they just erase the oldest files.
So your always covered.
Plus if you have a incident you simply hit the Save button.
Or it saves it if you have a big bump and cant press save.

Top Bottom