Which driving test is harder: bus or taxi?

which driving test is harder?

• bus

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • taxi

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Am I right in thinking both vehicles need more than an ordinary car driving licence? I've seen buses with L plates, but not taxis, but I guess they can use ordinary cars.

But here's the bit where opinion and experiences of people who've driven them comes in: which test is harder and how?

Finally, do either get encouraged to try cycling among buses or taxis?

Drago

Legendary Member
The Taxi test isn't actually a driving test. The necessary drivers licence category must already be held before once can become a Taxi'ist.

My mate passed the taxi test for Southampton first time, and he's proper thick!
That's because all you have to do to get a licence in Southampton, is demonstrate that you can wear a Fez. The one that is pretty tough, is 'the knowledge' in London.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's because all you have to do to get a licence in Southampton, is demonstrate that you can wear a Fez. The one that is pretty tough, is 'the knowledge' in London.
The test maybe harder but IME 90%+ of black cab drivers I have encountered are impatient c***s who don't give a flying what-sit about anyone else on the road. The bit about self-righteousness is spot on. Maybe these dubious qualities are part of the test

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Two completely different things.

Taxi drivers have a theory/knowledge test... 'R' kid was one, if you can drive like a drug crazed balloon but know the roads & streets within a 10 mile radius your in.

The Bus or PSV/PCV test is both a physical/technical thing with theory too, like a car test but harder. I have the PSV/PCV licence & Class 2 HGV but don't currently use either.

Berties

Fast and careful!
You know him then ?the army of cabbies that work the best shifts ,
All nighters on the busy nights
Falling asleep at the wheel and trying to rip off the drunk revellers
All part of the rest !

Top Bottom