Which fails first for YOU on a hill-your legs or breathing capacity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Legs always. I'm a pretty good climber even if I say so myself, having tested my self a good few time climbing mountains in full touring mode. Not as quick as some, but quicker then others. I've not had to walk many times (legs gone before lungs) but not adverse to do so for a bit of a rest,

As a asthmatic - always my lungs.

Only time I really feel legs is back to back cycling days

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Depends how you ride. I believe the general rule is:
- strong legs but lacking in the cardiovascular department: Use harder gear and lower cadence,
- strong heart but legs lagging behind: Use easier gear and higher cadence.
But it might be one of those things that many think true yet not technically proven by research?

If you push a bigger gear lower cadence then it’s your muscular endurance being tested and you heart rate will be lower for a given uphill speed than a lower gear spun at high cadence. Thus you can shift the pressure from cardio to muscular or vice versa, depending on how things are going.

I went out late last night specifically to try what we had discussed.

The hill is 3.5 miles away so I was warmed up enough to try. I set off up the hill in 2nd gear, and as I approched the top I found I was more comfortable. Easier on the breathing, heart rate felt less, a bit slower cadence and only a bit more effort for the legs, which was fine.

Overall I felt that this was a more balanced way of climbing. It is surprising how much difference one gear can make, at least on hills. Thank you.

Last edited:
I learnt what gearing meant when I first went to Tenerife, I nearly collapsed from exhaustion trying to get up the slopes of mount Teide.

I was pretty fit but just didn't have low enough gearing for a at the time 100kg rider to spin a 34t and 32t cog. The next year I returned with a bike that now had a 28t chainring and 40t cog. I could now spin over 85rpm and be in Z2/Z3 for heart rate for a climb which took over 3.5 hours to complete. Since then I've further developed my bike to have triple chainset. There is no incline that evens concerns me these days.

Other riders scoffed at my setup, but were all impressed when I arrived at the top of mountains without looking like I was going to keel over.

Ive climbed Mont Ventoux, Galibier, Glandon, Alpe D Huez, Mt Teide.

as for UK hills-pah piddly little bumps

Im not the quickest being a 'Clydesdale' rider, but I can do it in comfort, enjoy the effort.

Alter your gearing so you can maintain a high cadence with low-ish effort

I'm interested in understanding what you have explained. It seems like your gear set-up is spot on.

To fully benefit from what you have shared I need to understand the terminology.

You have a 28T chain ring-so I am guessing 28 teeth. The 40T cog, I am unsure about this. I am guessing the rear cassette has one gear with 40 teeth which is very low? Unsure about the other gears on your cassette, but I assume they are an integral part of your ideal gearing arrangement?

Mike_P

Guru
I felt that this was a more balanced way of climbing. It is surprising how much difference one gear can make, at least on hills.
What were the gradients of that hill like given most are not a constant gradient - those with the steeper bit at the foot are the easier IME and those which get steeper as they go on are typically the ones that I struggle on. Was zig zagging on what I thought was the steepest bit of one only to go round a bend and see it get steeper; Shanks's Pony called into action.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
You have a 28T chain ring-so I am guessing 28 teeth. The 40T cog, I am unsure about this. I am guessing the rear cassette has one gear with 40 teeth which is very low? Unsure about the other gears on your cassette, but I assume they are an integral part of your ideal gearing arrangement?
Yep, you've got this right. Andy's chainring is 28 teeth and his biggest sprocket is 40 teeth, which gives him a minuscule gear suitable for riding up the sides of houses. To put it into perspective, standard MTB gearing in days of yore used to be 42/32/22 chainrings and 11-28T cassette; a 'granny gear' of 22x28 is still (even accounting for slightly smaller wheels) bigger than Andy's 28x40. :wacko:

Hi Mike,

It is quite appropriate that you should ask that question today. Only this morning I was thinking about signs indicating the steepness of a hill. I guess it was in my mind because I have been focussing my attention on this specific local hill recently.

I had wondered if there is a website that has details of this sort of thing, but am in doubt.

I have no detail of the 'steepness' other than to say it feels like 45 degrees when on it! I can however tell you it is the A6178 Alma Rd in Rotherham, S,Yorks. See screen shots. The photo with the smoke rising is the view looking down the hill.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220616-135702.png
    Screenshot_20220616-135702.png
    257.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20220616-135442.png
    Screenshot_20220616-135442.png
    307.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20220616-135534.png
    Screenshot_20220616-135534.png
    300.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
@Legs :okay:

Current bike setup Kinesis Tripster ATR V2 titanium. Started out front double chainring 40/28t Two front gears one with 28t another 40 teeth. On the rear 11 speed 11-40 cassette. Hardest gear 11t easiest 40t.

I now have triple front chainrings. 50/36/26 I use an 11-40 for going abroad mountain climbing. UK I tend to fit 11-32t rear cassette.

My lowest gear ratio in gear inches is something around 17". I can literally spin up 40% gradient inclines. I very rarely use this bottom ratio. I tend to ride using the 36t chainring. however I can and have on occasion, instead of stopping for a breather on a mega incline, just dropped onto the smallest chainring, eased back my effort into Z2 heart rate and kept going. ;)

This is my bike ready for use this week.

20220603_092459.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi Mike,

It is quite appropriate that you should ask that question today. Only this morning I was thinking about signs indicating the steepness of a hill. I guess it was in my mind because I have been focussing my attention on this specific local hill recently.

I had wondered if there is a website that has details of this sort of thing, but am in doubt.

I have no detail of the 'steepness' other than to say it feels like 45 degrees when on it! I can however tell you it is the A6178 Alma Rd in Rotherham, S,Yorks. See screen shots. The photo with the smoke rising is the view looking down the hill.
Alma Rd
It has a section of around 16%, but only for a short bit. Piddly little hill :whistle:
Untitled.jpg

Top Bottom