Which fails first for YOU on a hill-your legs or breathing capacity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I don't fully understand the science of the bonk,

When the body has burnt all of its glycogen reserves in the liver and muscles. You at that point literally grind to a stop. Usually at the point of most physical demand, steep hill, stiff headwind.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've still been beaten by some stiff climbs recently, always when close to the bonk after going fast for a long ride.

You would have been beaten by gentle climbs if bonking. A single climb won’t make you bonk, you need to have been out on the bike for some time.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If I look back at my Strava PBs on stiff local climbs, I see average heart rates over 170 bpm, and peaks over 190.
Don't think I should be doing this in my early 50s, so I think my best performance days are now well behind me!

No reason why not assuming you are saying 190 bpm is your max heart rate. I wouldn’t go hitting it every day but if you’ve remained fit and are well no harm in pushing it every now and again in your 50s. If just climbing off sofa it’s a different story.

Too many avoid some high intensity exercise as they get older. You don’t need much but if you neglect it, it’s often the reason people see declines in average speed on the bike before they hit 70.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You would have been beaten by gentle climbs if bonking. A single climb won’t make you bonk, you need to have been out on the bike for some time.

I was defeated by a crossroads on an A-Road. The bonk hit me just short of it and I was so confused by the time I got to it that I couldn't figure out how to get across safely! :wacko:

I had to retreat to a nearby supermarket for emergency refuelling supplies. 30 minutes later I was good to go.

CXRAndy

Guru
I try and race 3 times a week. I normally hit 98% max HR for a few minutes in these 20min to 1hour races. I have a rest day doing something else physical on the other days, weight training, easy riding

I find it always easy to cycle in the morning, earlier the better. There are very many reasons for this. Psychologically you feel that you have plenty of time to do it, so there is no hurry, its less busy and scenery is beautiful in the morning. This is specially important in the summer.
What stops first depends on the steepness and length of the hill. In a short, steep hill it is usually breathing. In a long climb it is legs.

I try and race 3 times a week. I normally hit 98% max HR for a few minutes in these 20min to 1hour races. I have a rest day doing something else physical on the other days, weight training, easy riding
The monitor obviously provides the figures, but how do we know/establish where max is? I assume we are all different.

vickster

Legendary Member
There are various ways to find it. Some simple, some complicated. Here is one.

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/fitness/fitness-basics/target-heart-rates

Isn’t 220-age utter bunkum?

CXRAndy

Guru
The monitor obviously provides the figures, but how do we know/establish where max is? I assume we are all different.

We are all different, max HR could be anything from 140bpm to over 200bpm for a healthy adult of any age.

The maximum number ive ever seen is 181bpm at maximum effort for a sustained period. Yesterday my peak was 175bpm during the race.

220-age is utterly unreliable. General rule is HR maximum begins to decline as we age, but there are many exceptions

Isn’t 220-age utter bunkum?

It is just a guide. It depends on other factors such as your resting heart rate etc. How accurately one wants to determine depends on one's requirements. I run and cycle to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I don't call it training. Because I am not training for anything. I don't even bother to see what my speed is.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can anyone recommend a 'stand alone monitor' as opposed to something attached to strava or whatever? Just for the bike use. No reason other than my own curiosity.

Lots of Fitness trackers measure heart rate
Apple Watch will (I have one) but it’s a premium product that has to be paired with an iPhone so may not be what you want.
what exactly are you looking for (and budget), many work best with a smart phone (which do you have?)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Brain gives up first.

It doesn't happen all that often but every now and then, on a big hill, typically late in a ride, a little voice in my head shouts "stop this, it's stupid", and off I get.

Top Bottom