Which food did you find the most underwhelming?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Black salsify. Never had the white but the black, or scorzonera, does little to recomend it. The only aspect likely to overwhelm is the peeling.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Black salsify. Never had the white but the black, or scorzonera, does little to recomend it. The only aspect likely to overwhelm is the peeling.

I like it! And Jerusalems! There's a theory that the flavour of all of these sunflowery things is reminiscent of oysters, which is interesting, given how many people have named oysters in this thread...

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I like it! And Jerusalems!

Well at least we agree on sun-dried toms, this generation's black forest gateau and prawn cocktail rolled into one and suspened in cheap olive oil (and the dry ones are hardly better).

There's a theory that the flavour of all of these sunflowery things is reminiscent of oysters, which is interesting, given how many people have named oysters in this thread...

Salsify = oyster plant. A strange conjunction, given that the oyster is towards one end of the whelm continuum and the plant towards the other. Perhaps they meet each other coming round the other way.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I had some Salsify with Bechamel sauce in France a while back. Was very nice indeed.

The French have a knack of making sauces so subtly sublime they delight like angels' pee on the tongue. Your meal was only "very nice" because the buggers put salsify in it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Come on Alan - Bechamel is flour, butter and milk or cream - and in France it would be UHT milk. Where's the angels' pee in that?

strofiwimple

Veteran
Most shop bought tomatoes leave me totally uw.
On my jollies in Zante a few year back I bought some from a stall on the roadside, about the size of a cricket ball, they looked bloody awful-really misshapen with black blotches on the skin but the taste was sublime.
With fresh buns from a bakers nearby and some good cheese they made the best sarnies ever.

gbb

Legendary Member
Most shop bought tomatoes leave me totally uw.
On my jollies in Zante a few year back I bought some from a stall on the roadside, about the size of a cricket ball, they looked bloody awful-really misshapen with black blotches on the skin but the taste was sublime.
With fresh buns from a bakers nearby and some good cheese they made the best sarnies ever.
Oh yes, supermarket tomatoes, completely underwhelming.
Tomatoes in Greece (Crete in my case)...astounding, exactly as you describe.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ah, overwhelmingly good tomatoes with that lovely peppery zing.. yum.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I actually find it easy to find the good tomatoes in a supermarket.
Find the ones that are reddest, then get the ones of those with the most scent.
Unripe ones will never have any scent or taste, so finding red ones is the first step.
Same theory applies for melons and pineapples - get the most scented ones.
Of course, sometimes none of them are ripe...

+1 on supermarket tomatoes. So underwhelming that it's taken 12 pages for anybody even to remember the virulently tasteless packages of red.

Aye - and local supermarket has special light bulbs over the tomato section; makes them look even redder.

gbb

Legendary Member
+1 on supermarket tomatoes. So underwhelming that it's taken 12 pages for anybody even to remember the virulently tasteless packages of red.

Aye - and local supermarket has special light bulbs over the tomato section; makes them look even redder.
Thats buggered me next time then, there was i reading TheDoctors advise, thinking thats a good point...only to have it torpedoed before i even got there :laugh:

Keith Oates

Janner
In my local supermarket the only time there are air holes is when somebody, accidentally or deliberately, pokes a hole in the cellophane with their finger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom