Which Garmin 1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
A mate has an 800 which he uses for pre-planned routes. Create in ridewithgps and load up to get turn by turn directions

Looking at devices I want the biggest and best, but do not need HRM cadence etc - pretty much just for navigation

Which version do I need? Anyone got first hand experience?

This looks good - will it have the same mapping as a UK model? https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article...XrRm67mjeSgJsnsz1tvaYrjZcm79tIW0bTBoCEXjw_wcB

WIggle have http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-1000-gps-cycle-computer/ which seems the same as the Rose one, possibly with extra mounts or a Garmin 1000 explore http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-explore-1000/

I am getting a bit confused and would welcome help

(I am not too fussed about all the data screens etc as I have 920XT for triathlon. I also have a load of Garmin mounts)

400bhp

Guru
Good price that. Perhaps the language might be set to german which is easy to change.

The only other thing is that I'm not sure what free mapping you get with the 1000. I know it's detailed mapping but unsure if it's European wide of European specific. A simple google search will sort that out.

I'm sorely tempted at that price. Just bought a 520 but the mapping isn't as good as my old 705.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I bought the 1000 for the mapping but find it very hard to use . I just use my mobile phone if i get a bit lost and that tends to happen alot when following a garmin .

si_c

Guru
The Garmin 1000 is brilliant if you are looking for numbers, Power, Cadence, HRM etc etc, however from what I've head it is not so great at navigation as other devices. It's also quite expensive.

Worth looking at are the Garmin Edge Touring (~£150) or the Mio Cyclo 200/300 series devices (~£100 - £150). The Mio devices are apparently better at navigation (I've not used the touring, so can't comment, but I really like the navigation functions on the Mio, the 1000 is apparently quite poor at nav) and have a slightly bigger screen (3.5" vs 2.6"). For what you've said you need, either of these is a good choice.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have a 1000 and the navigation works fine for me, I think sometimes the problem is that people don't read up on all of the settings,
I haven't read up on any of them ^_^

If it's just a map get the garmin edge tour instead. Same device but without all the training stuff. Massively cheaper and same mapping functionality.

Chris1983

I really like my edge 1000.

I travel a lot and take my bike and pre plan a route on garmin connect website and download and follow it, I find this very useful.

the turn by turn navigation works ok. The only thing I have found is if I miss a way point then the turn by turn navigation tries to route you back and that's a bit annoying. A feature to skip to next way point would be useful.

I also love the integration of the live strava segments. favourite a section and then when you are on it, it shows how you are performing against your pb.

The other feature I use is the live track. I do a lot of long distance rides or sportives so if the family are coming to cheer me over the finish line they can go shopping and keep track of my progress and then get to the finish line just in time.

You don't have to have the HRM or cadence. I have them for the road bike but the mountain bike doesn't have the sensors fitted but still works perfectly fine.

400bhp

Guru
the turn by turn navigation works ok. The only thing I have found is if I miss a way point then the turn by turn navigation tries to route you back and that's a bit annoying. A feature to skip to next way point would be useful.
My old 705 used to have the option to turn auto reply route off. I'd be surprised if the 1000 doesn't have this option ?

Chris1983

My old 705 used to have the option to turn auto reply route off. I'd be surprised if the 1000 doesn't have this option ?
you can turn the auto route off.

but then the turn by turn navigation stops, all it does is keep saying you are getting further away from the next destination/way point.

i've had it a couple of time where by it must have lost signal briefly and missed a way point, or i've not checked the Garmin Connect generated map closely enough and its trying to direct me along a dirty track or bridal way. so i've had to go off route and then re join the route, but then if i happen to miss a way point that was on the bridle path then the TbT stops working correctly.

so then you have to follow the little pink line on the screen. you still get a beep if you go off course. so its still possible to navigate using it, but i do like the turn by turn navigation.

Chris1983

oh, its worth noting that the Strava segment integration requires a Strava premium account. if not the live segment stuff works on the Garmin Connect segments, like Strava you can build your own segments etc in Garmin Connect and after the ride up load it all to Strava as well without the premium account. But the premium account allows you to down the actual strava data to your device, saves messing around in Garmin Connect first.

Top Bottom