Which gloves ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Virtual DBP

i too suffer from cold hands and when i commuted on the bicycle last week i wore my motorcycle gloves...

they weren't cheap, but not as expensive as you might think when viewed against some bicycle gloves.

anyway, as they're made for travelling along at much greater speed on a bicycle, the result was nice worm hands all the way in (and should i have come off during the trip) much greater protection for my hands

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I noticed that Bradley W and the rest of Team Sky had mittens on Monday. Anyone ever seen cycling mittens for sale ?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I found the Extremities Velo gloves OK for 15 miles at -10 on Thursday evening.
I was slightly surprised as they are quite thin, but the backup mountaineering gloves remained in the saddlebag.
I think the secret was that they were XL, where a tape measure would put me in medium or large. A loose fit and windproof gloves means that your hand has limited contact with the outside.

I find that any glove with a waterproof or windproof membrane keeps me warm for a while and then the sweat cools and my hands are trapped in a cold wet bag (or, if its raining, they just leak). I use a windproof glove (currently Sealskinz 'Performance Windproof') which uses a windproof weave, (rather than a membrane), which is far more breathable. With a silk liner my hands stay warm and ventilated even at -5C. I can micro-manage the temperature by spreading or closing the fingers as the walls of the glove are very thin. I also have some Outdoor Designs eVent Mckinley which I've yet to try in the current weather - waiting for cold and wet!

knonist

solmisation said:
I think that it's because the gloves are not wind proof, and cutting through the cold air draws the warmth away from my fingers, the rest of my body is warm, head, feet and arms, it's just my fingers that suffer. I'll be 50 next year, so no spring chicken, it could be that my circulation is not as good as it once was. At the moment it's -12 degrees, not looking forward to leaving for work tomorrow at 7.30am.

I'm the same, the rest of my body is warm, just my fingers..
but I'm only 25....

Top Bottom