Which gloves ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
My gloves just aren't doing the business at the moment despite stuffing my hands in mittens as well inside the gloves! Are there any that will keep your fingers warm even in minus 10 like now or is it impossible?

Still - aside from frozen paws, that it's been a great week of commuting on lovely fresh snow- There aren't many sounds more pleasant than bike tyres on new snow I reckon! Some sensible driving herabouts too for once and quieter roads.

Downward

Guru
Not the Endura Strikes that's for sure.

solmisation

fossyant said:
Altura Night Visions - blooming toastie for me.....
Sorry to disagree with you, but I have a pair of those, after about 10 minutes my fingers are starting to get very cold, especially the last few days(-7 to -10 degrees).

Bayerd

Über Member
Would you say that currently on snow you're not working as hard as you normally would? I've found that initially my fingers are cold, but once the rest of me warms up, my fingers do too. I stick mainly to main roads at the moment and keep momentum up where I can to keep warm. Maybe finding a route where you can do the same might help?

Just a thought....

aJohnson

Have you tried Glove Liner for underneath your current gloves?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
solmisation said:
Sorry to disagree with you, but I have a pair of those, after about 10 minutes my fingers are starting to get very cold, especially the last few days(-7 to -10 degrees).

We are all different though...... I find them too hot, been using thin MTB full finger gloves all Winter until the Snow....

solmisation

I think that it's because the gloves are not wind proof, and cutting through the cold air draws the warmth away from my fingers, the rest of my body is warm, head, feet and arms, it's just my fingers that suffer. I'll be 50 next year, so no spring chicken, it could be that my circulation is not as good as it once was. At the moment it's -12 degrees, not looking forward to leaving for work tomorrow at 7.30am.

Coco

I'd recommend a pair of Decathlon silk running gloves under whatever you use for cycling. Makes a huge difference in these cold temps and can be removed when the weather gets warmer. Only about a fiver IIRC.

solmisation

The Night Vision gloves have a thin liner glove, tomorrow I may try using a leather glove as a liner with the Altura outer over those, I'm a little worried about the mobility of my fingers, but as the roads will be quieter I'll give it a go.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the great tips folks- will look into all of'em. It looks like another week of cold coming up so a trip to Newmarket's finest glove shops is on the cards for tomorrow.
My thumbs still haven't thawed out yet after 5 hours. Brrrrrr. Ready for Spring now!

Top Bottom