Which hardtail for unger £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
WOW, that is quite a price hike indeed. Whilst I could not afford one at the moment I do get to borrow one for three days for a MTB L1 Leaders Course :biggrin: as they decided to give me a treat as I normally ride a rigid
Cubist said:
Interesting this Value For Money argument re Cubes. I was in the LBS yesterday arranging some servicing for the work fleet, and mentioned pricing. The shop owner told me that ALL cube prices will be hiked from today. The entry level Attention goes up £100 to the best part of £600 and the LTD Comp to the best part of £800. If you can still find one at £680 then get it while you can!

djb1971

Legendary Member
I just purchased a LTD Race last week for £899 with a couple of freebies from BETD in Stoke. It has just gone up to £1050 - close one that :biggrin:

btw: highly recommended hardtail !!

Cubist

Still wavin'
So there you go, with a budget of a grand you can still get a LTD Comp and a pallet or two of Stella, and still have change for some Pork Scatchings and twenty Bensons.

Noodley

Cubes still available on chainreaction at 'old' prices.

Just been having a look at them (again), in anticipation of bike to work scheme...but it'll likely be 2012 prices at this rate! Gits!

djb1971

Legendary Member
I love my ltd race, went around hanchurch on Sunday and got absolutely filthy!!

The Rebas are great and soaked up some big bumps. I still miss fs but you cant beat a hardtail on good track. I did get defeated though on the way home, coming through swinnerton woods the track was flooded and was 2ft deep at the edge!! My front wheel vanished. The water was also a funny sheep sh*t green colour so I ended up climbing a small cliff face and scrabbling through a field. I didn't want to get it that dirty :laugh:

I can't recommend Cube bikes enough. Last year Focus were great vfm but they've increased prices and down graded the kit, no doubt Cube will end up doing the same so get in while you can. When I was looking to buy, the likes of Marin and Specialized didn't have the kit to match a Cube at any price point. The acid also looks a good buy.

Cubist

Still wavin'
This month's MBUK tests an Attention against various other £500 entry level hardtails. It came second to a £399 Iron Horse, but only because the forks on an attention are mediocre at best(80mm Suntour XCM) I wouldn't give the Iron Horse houseroom, but then I'm not being paid to review people's products............ They raved and raved about the Cube's drivetrain and tyres, saying when they unpacked the box they thought they had been sent the wrong bike!

Cubester is 11 but 5'4", and to be honest his Attention forks don't feel that good to me, but are just about all he needs at this age and size. That MBUK article says buy one and pay for fork upgrade, so guess who's saving up for some new forks!

Top Bottom