Which Helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregC

So I'm heading to Cycles UK after work to look at the helmets, I just wondered what your opinions are and if there's anything I should look out for? Should I stick with the branded names or should I just get a £25 one from Halfords?

I can also head to Evans but assume they'll be pretty much the same as Cycles UK which is right near my place of work?!

Lonestar

Veteran
I've been told off.

Apologies for my post and best of luck finding what you want.

Welcome to the forum.:smile:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
So I'm heading to Cycles UK after work to look at the helmets, I just wondered what your opinions are and if there's anything I should look out for? Should I stick with the branded names or should I just get a £25 one from Halfords?

I can also head to Evans but assume they'll be pretty much the same as Cycles UK which is right near my place of work?!
One that fits and is comfortable as above. Buy on fit not price. Try as many brands as needed.
Then look at the safety regs they meet (the cheapest tend to meet only tbe basic EC standard)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The single most important factor when buying a helmet is that it fits properly. Because everyone's head is a different shape, that means you can't just go by anyone else's recommendations - you absolutely must try it on before committing to a purchase.

Beyond that, a more expensive helmet is likely to be lighter and better ventilated - this could make a big difference to how comfortable it is to wear in the current hot spell, not so much of a difference when we go back to more normal conditions.

More expensive helmets also tend to feature better retention systems with more adjustability to fine tune the fit, and straps are likely to be easier to adjust and more comfortable.

If you find a £25 helmet that fits you perfectly and is well ventilated and easy to adjust, it will be absolutely fine and will protect your head just as well as a £250 helmet.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not much that anyone can add to @smutchin 's post. Just on a personal note I don't like those that have big flare out making you look like the Mekon. Anyone remember him from Dan Dare?

Mekon-Poster.jpg

Kajjal

Guru
Not much that anyone can add to @smutchin 's post. Just on a personal note I don't like those that have big flare out making you look like the Mekon. Anyone remember him from Dan Dare?

View attachment 423233

That’s what I looked like two hours into a bike ride after preparing myself the night before with 3/4 of a bottle of strong red wine :cheers:

Drago

Legendary Member
You'll likely need to try a few to find a brand that fits the shape of your noggin, Assumig they fit you nicely, the Uvex range is a no nonsense, sensibly designed, well finished array of lids at competitive prices.

OP
OP
G

GregC

OK so I popped to Halfords and there wasn't any there that I particulary liked, I then went to Cycles UK and they had a couple not very poor range in store and said best to order online.

Soooooooooooo, I'm not on Tredz and Wiggle and I've seen a couple I like (Specialized & Giro) BUT I can't try them on I have to just take the risk, I know my size so? (Specialized appear to be one size and Wiggle S/M/L (I'm a M)

Thoughts on buying online?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I bought mine online after reading a few reviews. It was a Specialized Airnet and it was fine. All i think have an adjustable head band so you should be fairly safe.

Drago

Legendary Member
Buying helmets on line is the safety equivalent of buying used condoms from a Mozambique based eBay seller. If you believe in the efficacy of helmets then do it properly, or don't bother at all.

Top Bottom