Which Helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
You can buy online as long as you don't mind sending them back

In the past I have ordered several sizes and styles at once, and simply returned the ones that I didn't like or didn't fit

I tend to use companies that use PayPal pay after delivery. That way, as long as you return the unwanted good, you only get billed for goods you keep 14 days after the order was placed

Both CRC/Wiggle and Merlin do PAD

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Nowt wrong with buying online if you have tried the exact lid in the real dimension.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm sure the postie lovingly cuddles each one from start to finish of the journey, wraps them in a father mattress, and ensures they're not subjected to the slighest inertial force or impact.

D

Deleted member 26715

If you find a £25 helmet that fits you perfectly and is well ventilated and easy to adjust, it will be absolutely fine and will protect your head just as well as a £250 helmet.
When I was still motorcycling, I went out one day to buy a Aria or a Shoei both expensive brands & at the time £400+ tried several on & they just didn't feel right, ended up with a Nitro £180, felt far better, if you feel the need to protect your head then do it properly.

Just a note about Specialized: I exchanged an old specialized for a newer model a few years ago. The old helmet had adjustment at the base of the triangle around the ears in the form a clasp below the ear. The new helmet - at a higher price point than the original did not have this, and means you can't have a more tailored fit.
In future when I'm looking for comfort and secure fit I'm going to bear this in mind.
So I'd say that going and trying on is paramount.

vickster

Legendary Member
Kask? Nice lid. (Mojito)
I just got one from Sportpursuit for £80 delivered. Not budget but a good discount

I’ve probably tried about 20 helmets on and only Uvex Boss Race and the Mojito are comfortable. I have a fairly round head and lots of hair

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm sure the postie lovingly cuddles each one from start to finish of the journey, wraps them in a father mattress, and ensures they're not subjected to the slighest inertial force or impact.

I get your point but the same applies to the guy who loaded the truck at the factory, and the guy who unloaded it at the distribution centre, and the guy who loaded it on the delivery van etc. until it arrived at the LBS.

Threevok

To be honest, if a helmet is that flimsy that it cannot take being transported in a packaged box, it's a bit of a glass hammer

Drago

Legendary Member
To be honest, if a helmet is that flimsy that it cannot take being transported in a packaged box, it's a bit of a glass hammer

One course I did I issued new Spesh helmets to all the delegates. We were sat in a circle while I talked about adjusting the helmet for fit, born on dates, etc, when one lass fumbled her lid and it dropped from her lap to the carpeted floor. She wasn't a tall person so the helmet didn't have far to go, yet it still cracked.

They are very easy to damage, and I wouldn't bet my life that the damage would always be visible or easy to see. Therefore, if you believe helmets work you should do what you can to minimise the chances of obtaining one that's been mistreated, or sent through the post multiple times as a return and put back into stock, etc.

Last edited:

Threevok

One course I did I issued new Spesh helmets to all the delegates. We were sat in a circle while I talked about adjusting the helmet for fit, born on dates, etc, when one lass fumbled her lid and it dropped from her lap to the carpeted floor. She wasn't a tall person so the helmet didn't have far to go, yet it still cracked.

:eek: Shocking

Although, was it in a packaged box when she dropped it :tongue:

Top Bottom