Which Hybrid Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've not had an answer to my question above if anyone would be so kind to take notice please...?

I asked if these kind of bikes would be worth considering...

FX Disc 2

View attachment 513439

Giant Escape 3 Disc

View attachment 513440

Specialized Sirrus Alloy Disc Hybrid Bike 2020 Charcoal

View attachment 513441
The bikes you are looking at are certainly on the right lines, and as good as anything else for the budget.

I like hydraulic discs, which points towards the Trek or the Spesh.

If you can swing your leg over them, one might give you a lightbulb moment.

After that it comes down to availability, how you get on with the dealer, and which one you most like the look of.

vickster

Legendary Member
Blue one 👍

Treks aren't always available mail order, only click and collect/showroom purchase, so check with the retailers

Thanks for the replies...

I was thinking along the lines of these bikes ... if they're any good?

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-2-disc/p/27991/

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...3htcyBCT1ytpr5JOOcAaAteeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike..._EZCLoBepX61OzYCMZQaAlqoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've got some country roads around where I live and some nice woods with trails and a big park with a path so that kind of thing.

I'm 5"10.

I don't know what would be better between rigid forkes and suspension etc. don't know much about bikes really. I did have a CAAD8 a few years ago but I feel I was mis-sold it really. I tried a medium size and was told I was too big for it, so I went to another store where I bought the 56cm and ended up buying that but I never felt comfortable on it, always felt too stretched out and that the bike was too big for me despite going back and having a bike fit to see if it was ok for me, the guy doing the fit said it was fine for me but I could only touch the floor with my toes when sitting on the saddle and there was no clearance at all standing over the top bar, was a bit like getting on a gate so I sold it.

Hybrids look like more what I am after, a more relaxed position and not the racier position of a road bike, and that they are good on trails as well as roads.
There all good bikes, its down really to which one you like best.
Personally I would avoid suspension at this price point where to make it economical its quite heavy.
With regards to the fit
only touch the floor with my toes when sitting on the saddle
sounds like the height of the saddle was good for efficiency and your knees. However, you slide forward off the saddle to put your feet down so if there wasn't much clearance to the top tube it might of been slightly too big. A road bike like the CAAD 8 will be close but you still want to slide forward without damaging things :okay:
FWIW I'm 5ft 9 in and ride 54cm and 55cm road bikes comfortably.
Good luck!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you want to consider just the three you specified IMHO it has to be the Trek as it has hydraulic discs, the Specialized looks like it has rim brakes :ohmy:, plus it has a few more advantage. Otherwise specs are bargain basement which is to be expected but none the worse for it.
Giant is the largest cycle maker and produce for other brands so all three could have been made in the same factory.
The Trek has fatish (35c) tyres but still should still be able to get a move on pumped to max. Just don’t expect much puncture protection , but you can swap them out when you get fed up with them. It also seems to be the best thought out with fittings for a rack and kickstand plus other refinements.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joel23

Thanks for your replies. So if I spend up to £450 on a bike I'll probably go for the Trek... superb colour as well.

Although, I should probably ask, what should I be looking for in a bike, and if I am going to spend £400ish would it make sense to look at the second hand market ? I know it's not the easiest time to at the moment but if I were, what am I looking for in a bike, what sets the better ones apart from the not so good bikes?

If I am looking at second hand bikes what models would be worth looking for ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Going used can often provide bargains but you need to be careful with well used examples as they can often need stuff replacing which negates their bargain price. Bikes are often bought on a whim, ridden little then parked up, these are the ones to look for if you can. Make sure you get your correct size which isn't always easy.
As for models I would say look for the types you you're looking at now, if you find one post on here to get an appraisal. If it looks to be too much of a bargain beware it could be stolen so check the seller has proper title to it. That's brings up another point, buy a very secure lock and never leave it unsecured in public, bikes can go in seconds :excl:.
Good luck.

OP
OP
J

joel23

Thanks for the replies. My Trek Alpine Blue Hybrid will be coming next week :smile:

Top Bottom