Which Hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UnfitPhil

Hi. I want to get fit(ter)! So a bike is my best option - because I know I would enjoy it! Mostly road and old railway track / bridleway type routes, maybe ultimately to commute (10 miles each way)so think a hybrid would suit best. Or maybe a cyclocross ..? Not likely to be used as a mountain bike per se, nor am I likely to deliberately ride through thick mud! Prepared to pay up to around £1000 for a new bike - and think I can narrow it down to a Boardman hybrid Team or Pro (or maybe the CX?), or Trek hybrid 7.4 FX Disc (or Crossrip Elite?) or maybe Specialized Sirrus Elite disc or Comp disc (or Diverge Sport or Elite?). Quite a choice - but know that I'd like disc brakes (pref hydraulic) and carbon forks,and know it must be suitable and good value (since I come from Yorkshire!)
Not yet in any bike club - my info purely from online. Anyone got any comments based on their knowledge or hearsay? Maybe you would suggest something other which I haven't considered.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cross bike would be better than a hybrid I reckon. Tyre changes would allow a greater range of options, and the riding position better for day long trips and so on. Have a look at On One if you are in Yorkshire.

Reactions: mjr

MarkF

Guru
Hi Phil, I have had the Trek FX and Sirrus along with Dawes Discoveries and umpteen other hybrids. I do the same riding in Yorkshire, trail, towpath and road, they've also taken me on 1000m+ Euro tours fully loaded. I don't think at your price point there is bad bike tbh, personally I'd take the Dawes or Sirrus. I have good bar ends to give me all day hand comfort and that's the only addition I make apart from adding M+ tyres, they are fine for all the above terrains and I've had zero punctures in 8 years and 1000's of miles.

Cross bike with mudguards sounds like a good idea. A cross/MTB hybrid may do it if you prefer to sit up.

The above hybrids are "sporty", you definitely don't "sit up" on them.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at the Whyte R7 hybrid range or their disc equipped roadbikes :smile:

I've had Trek FX and Specialized Sirrus (albeit with V brakes) - I'd take my Whyte Cambridge over any of them, just more character (the two Specialized's had none for me, I liked the Trek but it was a bit small so I sold to a friend). Discs, 28mm tyres, takes full mudguards ad a panneir rack. If you just want a bike that'll do the job there's nothing wrong with any really at that price point. Ridgeback and Marin are well regarded too

I like flatbars and drop bars...sounds like to might need to increase your budget and get both :biggrin:

I have one of these, if the right size,better tyres and good to go

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co....em='Whyte Cambridge 2012 Hybrid/Commuter Bike'

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
I had a specialized sirrus expert, cost me £1000, for a few years and did all my commuting, weekend rides and touring with it. Hell of a bike, highly recommended.

I bought a Sirrus Sport for £200, immediately rode it across Spain and sold it on Ebay on my return for £300+ ^_^ Those 2011 Sirrus bikes with the zertz fork inserts are good.

OP
OP
U

UnfitPhil

Thanks a lot - thoughts are really appreciated guys! Still contemplating ... the Boardmans though do seem to take a lot of beating with carbon forks and disc brakes (- however much they might or might not be actually needed!) and cannot deny that the finish on the frame joints is very good. I don't want to start another debate here, but do wonder how many people's views are tainted by the image of Halfords! But also like the style of the Sirrus bikes (Elite or Hybrid). I've had Dawes many moons ago and they bring back happy childhood memories -so I'm still doubtful and still unfitPhil !

andyfraser

Über Member
My local Halfords is pretty good. The staff are friendly and reasonably knowledgeable. I haven't had any work done on a bike there but I've spoken to one of the mechanics a few times and he seems to know his stuff. Not all Halfords stores are as good though. I've heard horror stories of people leaving with bikes set up by Halfords that aren't fit to be ridden.

As for the bikes, the Boardman bikes seem pretty good and they have some fans here. The 13 range look pretty good too. The Carreras are generally worth the sale prices but not the full price. It seems to be that sales tactic of letting you think you're getting a better deal than you really are.

tl;dr - Halfords have a bad reputation because some stores are just not very good.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Also chiming in, singing the praises of the Sirrus. Mines a bit too small for me, but it gets the job done with aplomb. I also had a Cannondale H600 and a Scott San Francisco , but the Sirrus is lighter and quicker.

JMAG

Über Member
I had a new Trek 7.2 FX Disc and sold it after a couple of months. Handling was poor (excessive vibration/road buzz) and the Alivio gears were far from smooth. I wouldn't recommend that particular model, at least.

13 rider

Guru
As a owner of a 13 hybrid ( see avatar) for seven months and I love it done 1600 miles . Halfords don't have this range in stock and have to be ordered have a quick look on halfords website see what you think .

Last edited:
I had a new Trek 7.2 FX Disc and sold it after a couple of months. Handling was poor (excessive vibration/road buzz) and the Alivio gears were far from smooth. I wouldn't recommend that particular model, at least.
Nothing wrong with alivio gears in my experience. Sure it wasn't the set up?

Top Bottom