Which is your dominant crisp eating hand???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perplexed

Guru
Following a bit of casual observation whilst out and about, and a conversation with Mrs. P, I think I may be slightly ambidextrous...

I write and do most things (steady) with my right hand. If I try to write with my left, it looks like a spider scrawl, which is pretty bad considering that my handwriting is not a pretty sight at the best of times...

However, on the rare occasion that I have a bag of crisps or whatever, I find that I hold the bag in my right hand, and insert the flavoured crispy spuds with my left. Observation and asking my chums about this appears to indicate that I'm in a minority of one on this scientific point. (The sample all being right handers...)

To complicate things further: When I have my arms folded in a Les Dawson stylee, my right hand is on top of my left bicep, and the left hand is tucked underneath my left bicep/armpit.

Again, my survey shows that I'm pretty much alone in this, everyone else does it the other way round, but that feels strange to me?

So what about everyone else??? :ohmy:

(Has mental image of people experimenting behind keyboards.^_^)

calibanzwei

'Snap' on all counts - you are not alone.
I can only whistle by breathing in - if you too can do this, I'll consider us separated at birth :biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I can only whistle by breathing in - if you too can do this, I'll consider us separated at birth :biggrin:
I whistle breathing in and out and can carry a tune (badly) for quite a long time, seemingly not pausing for breath.:whistle:

I eat crisps with my right hand unless my right hand is doing another, more dominant task like writing or typing. However, I often do the cross word left handed while eating, USA stylee, with a fork in my right hand.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Likewise, I am predominantly right handed and pretty much useless with my left hand/foot. However someone recently pointed out that I deal cards left handed! I never realised that was the way I was doing it; holding the pack of cards in my right hand and dealing with my left feels so much more natural. In fact I'm still not convinced that it's not "normal" :smile:.

As for crisp eating; never thought about it before, but I also tend to hold the bag in my right hand and shovel 'em in with my left.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Right handed apart from chipsticks when I use the left hand

Chipsticks.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Following a bit of casual observation whilst out and about, and a conversation with Mrs. P, I think I may be slightly ambidextrous...

I write and do most things (steady) with my right hand. If I try to write with my left, it looks like a spider scrawl, which is pretty bad considering that my handwriting is not a pretty sight at the best of times...

However, on the rare occasion that I have a bag of crisps or whatever, I find that I hold the bag in my right hand, and insert the flavoured crispy spuds in with my left. Observation and asking my chums about this appears to indicate that I'm in a minority of one on this scientific point. (The sample all being right handers...)

To complicate things further: When I have my arms folded in a Les Dawson stylee, my right hand is on top of my left bicep, and the left hand is tucked underneath my left bicep/armpit.

Again, my survey shows that I'm pretty much alone in this, everyone else does it the other way round, but that feels strange to me?

So what about everyone else??? :ohmy:

(Has mental image of people experimenting behind keyboards.^_^)

The crisp eating seems to be common enough, and I once watched a left handed person doing the same, only he was holding the bag in his left hand and eating with his right.

I am right handed, but am ambidextrous too and I do things the opposite way round from a lot of people. I use the mouse and touch screens on the computer left handed, I use a joystick left handed too, and I like to write left handed as well, although It is usually just when I'm painting, etc.
That said, you know that experiment they get you to do in biology where you have to draw a neat line around a pattern using noting but a mirror to help you see what you are doing? I was able to do it quite well both right and left handed.

I might cross my arms right handed, but I fold my hands behind me left handed apparently. I am left footed too. I tell you what though, I once tried to brush my teeth left handed, and for some strange reason, it was the most difficult thing I'd done for a while!

I can do that. Do I want to be related to you though...... or more to the point, do you really want to be related to me?

Norm

Right handed for almost everything other than wielding an axe / sledgehammer, which I can do either way. It's not useful for much but it does impress the neighbours when I can ding the bell with both hands on the Super Mighty Striker. :thumbsup:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I have never actually done one of those before. I'll have to remember to strike it flat though!

Regarding being ambidextrous, I don't know how much difference this makes, but I was brain damaged as a baby, and the right hand side of my body is slightly weaker than it should be, despite the fact that I am mainly right handed.

Would using the left be my body's way of adapting/compensating, or does it make no real difference?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Right hand on my bicep here too, never realised that was a leftie way of crossing your arms. Never even knew that there *was* a rightie/leftie was performing said activity. Does the same apply to crossing your legs?

I also eat "the wrong way". Fork in right hand, knife in the left. But I hold the knife in my right hand if I'm slicing bread / chopping veggies, etc. Am incapable of eating with a spoon and a fork, as despite having two left feet, I don't have two right hands.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I tend to eat my crisps with my mouth.......or have I missed the point? :becool:

I was thinking that, because Cindy does the same. She is neither right or left pawed, she just sticks her face in instead!

She might use a paw to hold something down with though, but I don't think she has a preference as to what paw to use.

And before you ask Rocky, it is her back left leg that is missing.

I'm ambidextrous. Writing I'd need to practice, but I use knife/fork left handed, and can easily switch hand for tasks where convenient (no giggling at the back!).
In my Tai Chi class we do an exercise where we run through the forms without the hand element, and then left only, then right only. I'm the smartarse that can do the left only as easy as the right.

As for crisps, always right handed.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Eat and do almost everything with my right though I can type left handed. Is left arm on top of right forearm and under right bicep left or right handed? Cos that's what I do.

Related to cycling, I've been looking for some new brakes and nearly all side pull have the cable on the opposite side to my current (almost 30 year old) brakes. I have read that in the US the front brake lever is the left lever. The cable stops for my back brake are on the right of the top tube (crossbar as from a recent thread) so fitting new brakes will mean routing outer cable across the back of seat stays.

Top Bottom