Which Kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
Paperwhite disrupts sleep apparently, ones without a backlight are fine

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30574260

I have the one with the buttons, not the touchscreen and like it. Prefer it to the touchscreen variety personally, no accidental turning of pages and much quicker.

I have a little light (£3 or so) that clips onto the case and allows me to read at night.

Vidor06

Long term loafer
I have an ordinary Kindle (cant be used in the dark), a Kindle Fire HD and just recently got a Kindle Fire HD 6". The first 2 I have had for ages and have had no problems with. But the HD 6" is another story. I have Virgin broadband which operates on 802.11n wireless and the Kindle only operates on g (I think). But basically my wireless and my Kindle wont talk so cant update or download bokks without connecting it to my PC which sort of defeats the purpose. So for ease of use, dont buy the Kindle Fire HD 6".

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I have an ordinary Kindle (cant be used in the dark), a Kindle Fire HD and just recently got a Kindle Fire HD 6". The first 2 I have had for ages and have had no problems with. But the HD 6" is another story. I have Virgin broadband which operates on 802.11n wireless and the Kindle only operates on g (I think). But basically my wireless and my Kindle wont talk so cant update or download bokks without connecting it to my PC which sort of defeats the purpose. So for ease of use, dont buy the Kindle Fire HD 6".

I believe that is because Kindles can't cope with Afrikaans.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I have a basic Kindle on which the screen went kaput after 3 years. My wife is going to get me a paperwhite for my birthday in May; until then I am reading normal books and it is quite a pleasant change, although one of the big advantages with the Kindle is that you can search for words or phrases so if you can't remember something you can search for it and refresh your memory.

If you want it just for reading books, I wouldn't bother with a Fire or Fire HD as they are tablets and although they do much more their battery life is poor compared to the basic e-readers (or at least that is what my wife has found with her Fire).

hoopdriver

Guru

I have the one with the buttons, not the touchscreen and like it. Prefer it to the touchscreen variety personally, no accidental turning of pages and much quicker.

I have a little light (£3 or so) that clips onto the case and allows me to read at night.
That disrupt seep thing is just some scientists trying to justify, or obtain, new grant money as far as I can see. I have had no troubles reading with the Paperwhite and then going to sleep. Just some new research to grab a headline.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have a Kindke Fire HD, which I am using just now to post this. Therein lies the problem with it. I have had this for about a year now, and probably used it to read 2 books.
A book needs to hook me in right away, and I find very few do that, so I end up reading a few pages then either fall asleep or switch over to the internet and end up spending my reading time on CC.!
Brightness on the Fire HD is adjustable so might suit your needs.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!

I dont think I'll lose any sleep of that article, 12 people doesnt seem too conclusive to me but Im not a scientist. It focused on e-readers but the implications are that any blue light is the issue, including LED light and monitors.

Would be interesting to know if they had the readers on full brightness or nto, Im guessing they did.

The paperwhite backlight can be turned off also.

Inertia

Personally, I'd avoid Kindle and go for a Kobo. The Kobo Glo is great for reading at night in bed without disturbing the other half or the dog.
Interesting but I think I'd prefer to stick with Amazon as they have a wider range of books

Inertia

There's not much difference in availability/stock size these days. Lots of publishers are not allowing Amazon to have exclusivity.
ah, ok well more choice is good for everyone :thumbsup:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I can't speak for kobo, but do make sure you check pricing of books before you take the plunge. I was looking at Nooks until I discovered that almost every book I was interested in was £2 more for the Nook than the Kindle version.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I have a clip on reading light for my Kindle which means there is no back light and shouldn't generate enough light to disturb someone sleeping in the same room. They are available in places like W.H. Smiths and also on Amazon.

Top Bottom