which language to learn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
for touring the world which are the best two languages too learn if you are english?

I am definitely going to learn Spanish (due to large parts of central and southern america speaking it)

what about a second language? French, German / Arabic? or any other?

would like to learn languages that other countries speak as a second language?

found a good site http://www.rosettastone.co.uk/offer/tv where you can learn on your computer by talking to it.

any suggestions welcome.

cheers

steve jubb

andym

Über Member
stephenjubb said:
would like to learn languages that other countries speak as a second language?

That would usually be English - although large parts of Africa are francophone.

hubbike

russian? people in slovac countries can just about understand this too.

Al Humphreys prepared a 'magic letter' explaining his expedition and had it translated for him in each different set of languages he went through. He also prepared flash cards for important words. and when he ate something delicious, wrote down the name so he could ask for it agian.

oxford_guy

Über Member
I'm about to start a beginners French language course, I did a French "O" level, but that was about ages ago. My main interest/reason for learning it is that my partner is French (though speaks fluent English)! However, French is quite widely spoken in North-West (Morocco etc.) and West Africa, Canada (in Quebec anyway), some of the Caribbean (Martinique, Guadalupe), Mauritius and the Seychelles, Lebanon, SE Asia (Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam), French Polynesia and in Europe is spoken in parts of Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland, and France itself, obviously! For more info. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language

You might also find this list of the 50 most widely spoken languages interesting! Depending on where you're likely to go, Mandarin Chinese or Arabic could be a good choice, though obviously will be harder than a European language to learn...

Spanish is definitely a good choice, especially for Latin America. They really appreciate it when you make conversation in Spanish and you'll get lots more help that way.

Definitely do the flash card thing, learn key words and take notes (but be accurate). My mate got through tibet with absolutely no (whatever the language is there), didn't die and got fed. Those are the main things I think!

Surely it depends on the route...?

hubbike

I'm also learning spanish and a few things I have tried are
vocabulix (vocab tests and verb drills)
123teachme (free structured content)
coffeebreakspanish (free structured podcasts)
meet up with spanish people learning english for "intercambio" sessions, film swap, etc.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Spanish would probably be a good bet. I'm determined to learn more French though, so I can converse more when I go back to France in 2011.

Besides, I live in (the predominantly Anglophone part) of a bilingual country. Quebec City is marvelous.

Randochap said:
Spanish would probably be a good bet. I'm determined to learn more French though, so I can converse more when I go back to France in 2011.

Besides, I live in (the predominantly Anglophone part) of a bilingual country. Quebec City is marvelous.

Got my first trip to French Canada coming up in a few weeks' time. Off to Montreal over the long weekend (I'm working in Kingston, ON for a couple of weeks). Can't wait!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Montreal is a great place.
But the French they talk there is very different....Lots of weird translations of americanisms thrown in to an underlying base of 17th centrury French.

Top Bottom