Which Lights should i buy for night riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I saw this link on a thread on (yet) another cycling forum ;), and reckoned that, for just over £5, including rear light (pretty rubbish TBH) and bar mount, it was worth a punt. Quick delivery, emails when dispatched etc.

I've not had it out in the dark yet but it seems quite bright - 3 X AAAs (I have NiCad rechargeables). Certainly good enough for a back-up/emergency/short-not-too-fast-on-a-cyclepath, I would have thought .

Then there is this, which I think I will go for myself ...or this ...

Ah ! Decisions, decisions :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

siadwell

Guru
Hope Vision 1

However, this puppy eats batteries (4 x AA) like a donkey eats strawberries, so you'll need a steady supply of rechargeables - and a charger of course
tongue.gif
, but sounds like you already have these. If not, add, say, another £30 min.

A couple of sets of rechargeables and a charger should be obtainable for a lot less than that from places such as 7dayshop.

Also, the runtime of the Vision 1 depends on which level you have it on - the highest level is only really necessary on pitch-black country roads.

siadwell

Guru
Just get a P7 "Magicshine" for £50 and be done with it. You have additional lights already to act as backup.

These Chinese torches certainly give a lot of bang per buck, but the quality is variable and you have virtually no comeback if you buy from DealExtreme, etc. I opted for the Hope Vision 1 as it is a quality item and I don't mind paying a bit extra for something that shouldn't let me down.

There are some resellers of e.g. the Magic Shine that do a nit of tweaking to improve reliability, so may be worth a look.

These Chinese torches certainly give a lot of bang per buck, but the quality is variable and you have virtually no comeback if you buy from DealExtreme, etc. I opted for the Hope Vision 1 as it is a quality item and I don't mind paying a bit extra for something that shouldn't let me down.

There are some resellers of e.g. the Magic Shine that do a nit of tweaking to improve reliability, so may be worth a look.

There are resellers and these are a good option - although its not hard to re thermal paste a lamp - even then you don't always need to (note: if its getting hot on the outside, it means its moving the heat away, that is good).

Though other than that there really is no issue with this one (im not talking about the torches).

I have dealt with "local" warranty before and its generally an nightmare itself and companies are highly variable on how they deal with you - even then you often have to post back at your own expense.

I'd rather buy 2x these units (and have a spare battery pack, or lamp) than pay say £250 for the Lupine Tesla which is what it's a clone of. Oh - and the battery packs don't cost silly money for extras.

There is a light for £75 that uses the same P7 LED, with the same kind of housing but prettier - downside it only uses 3x 18650 cells so 3/4 the capacity - has UK warranty. I think it was Nuke Proof, they claim 700 lumen which is about right rather htan the P7 900 lumen claim (they also have a 900lumen for around the £110 mark, cannot find the £75 one yet)

Another option is the homebuilds from mtbr or candlepower forum members - much better quality and cost.

jeltz

Veteran
I have just bought one of the 900 Lumen ones from Ebay while I can't comment as to how it compares to hope or such like, as I've never owned one, its mighty bright and on the unlit roads I ride on cars stop and wait to see what I am, they don't seem to be expecting me to be on a bicycle!

My night time circuit takes just over 1:30 and last night I went out with a battery that had done about 20 mins already and when I got home it was still plenty bright enough to see pot holes etc However compared to running on a freshly charged battery it had dimmed a bit, not surprisingly.

For me the choice was based on the fact that I use a torch quite a bit in my work in the winter months so a bike light that can be used as one was a bonus and I didn't really want to have to strap and un-strap a battery to the bike every time I go out at night.

Not that I think its actually 900 lumens, but it has a good wide spread with a central bright spot so I can see the whole road on country lanes and pavement to beyond central white line elsewhere, in other words it does the job I bought it to and I'm very happy with it especially at the price.

If you can find the BIN from the LED you will have more chance on finding out what actual lumen rating the manufacter gives it.

Surprised at the 3600mAh.

This is a good thread to look at http://light-reviews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=513

I specifically use the UF 2600mAh, doesn't last as long but it keeps at a higher output for longer before suddenly dropping (which could be considered a bad thing). Also its 66% the cost of the 3000mAh - so higher isn't always better.

I do like their comment "Commuter light? - please have mercy on the poor motorist." :tongue:

jeltz

Veteran
That's good to know. I was intending buying some more batteries, so may try the UF 2600's instead. The prospect of stopping for a moment to change the battery isn't a big deal to me, the main reason I went for this light was that it has a wide beam and I've had a few of small fury creatures run out from the hedgerows and with my old 9 LED light it was a bit unnerving to have something run into your line of sight!

Broadside

Guru
Has anyone seen the new Exposure Joystick Mk5 which has just come out, 300 lumens? I have used the previous model with 240 lumens output, i'm interested to see quite how different it is.

I am currently saving for an Exposure Joystick - I borrowed one for the Dunwich Dynamo ride and was amazed by it. I was riding with someone using a Hope Vision 1 and there was a marked difference; yes the Hope is half the price, the Exposure Joystick is not twice as good but there are no extra batteries to spend money on, it is very compact and goes on your head, very handy for pointing the light where you need it!

I thought I was settled on getting a Hope Vision 1 until I used the Exposure. If I don't get the Exposure I think I will always be wishing that I had... it certainly gets my vote. Very expensive, but very very good.

£150 for 300 lumens... is pitiful.

If it has an efficient lumen per watt with a brilliant burn time then good - otherwise it's behind the time and a matter of branding.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm considering this one from B&M at the moment. For £63 a 40lux (German standard lux at 10m) light looks very good. There's not a lot of feedback on them however and there's no flashing mode.

I've decided that the Smart Lunar 35 I have is not quite good enough on the rural back roads I ride as the light is a little too focussed, but at £30 a go my other option is to get a second one of these to run alongside the first.

It depends what you want from your light. My Joystick Maxx2 is excellent for a night ride of 2 hours down a disused railway line plus a bit of town riding but a mates' far more powerful light, lumen-wise (Hope I think, but not too sure ) doesn't give the spread of beam that I am comfortable with. Horses for courses, and all that....

Try a few out if you can.

Bill

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Fenix Torch L2D with a twofish lockblock, amazing amount of light. I use them on local country roads and it is like riding through a tunnel of light.

This is the route I took and I've not been disappointed, think I paid about £80 for torch, the lockblock, rechargeable batteries and battery charger. You get about 2 hours run time on full beam, but you only need that on unlit parts, it takes 2xAA batteries. You have 4 settings and change between them via a touch on the little rubber pad at the base of the unit. Normal, mid, high and flashing, personally I run a cheaper led in tandem with it, generally having that on flash. Then I vary the power output from the Fenix depending on where I'm riding.

I'm going hub dynamo and front and rear dynamo lights on my general bike, but that was always the long term plan. I had to prove to myself, and my wife, that I'd stick with the cycling before I could commit the extra spend. but I'll not get rid of the Fenix, it's fairly light and the lockblock mount is easy to move around bikes.

Top Bottom