Which Lights should i buy for night riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donna

Hi all,

I have a couple of lights on my bike, they are only little cat eye things that make me visible to others.

Im looking to buy a new front light, a one with a high beam, for riding on a night time on cycle tracks.

Could anyone help me in what to buy? I would prefer rechargeable rather than buying batteries all the time?

I look forward to your comments/advice?

Thanks

Donna

Ranger

Donna

Depends how much you are willing to spend (or invest as I put it to my wife). I bought a set of Ay-Up's which seemed to be really popular for a while and I love them for my unlit rural commute, the light they throw is great but they are not cheap.

Other (probably more knowledgeable) people will be along to let you know what they have used as there are a huge amount of options

ACS

Legendary Member
Ay - Ups come highly recommended. I have just purchased the V Twin Sports for my rural commute. Used 2x Tesco 3w torches last year, which were OK but struggled with inclement weather. Intend to use the Ay Ups and torches in combination.

Opted for the Ay –Ups over other possible light set ups because you can purchase each component part of the set up as spares, that and their reputation for great customer service.

philhul

I recently bought a Nuke Proof Reactor Eco, reduced to £109 at CRC. First impressions good, though I haven't been down the one unlit road I use on my commute yet whilst it has been dark. I think it should be fine though from other use.

I know people don't like to spend too much money when it isn't necessary but I think lights for dark nights aren't worth skimping on personally.

RedBike

A lot depends upon your budget / how long you require the battery to last for.

You can't go far wrong with any of the latest high powered led lights that come equiped with lithium batteries

- Baz -

Well, I've recently spent an unhealthy amount of time pondering the same question, since my commute begins and ends with about a mile of unlit road...

The cheapest useful front light (ie allows you to see where you're going rather than being seen) and the one most recommended on CC is the Hope Vision 1. Evans currently have it for just over £70.

Hope Vision 1

However, this puppy eats batteries (4 x AA) like a donkey eats strawberries, so you'll need a steady supply of rechargeables - and a charger of course
tongue.gif
, but sounds like you already have these. If not, add, say, another £30 min.

There are, of course, better (ie brighter) but more expensive options, such as the Ay-Ups previously mentioned, or the Hope Vision 2, but again, much depends on (a) how much light you need and (b) how much dosh you want to spend.

As ever, more of (a) means more of (b).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hope vision 1. The Ayups are better - I've riden in woods in the pitch black with people with them but they aren't twice as good (for the huge extra cost).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
They are in the long run; you can't ride off road at speed with Hope 1's. With AyUps you can.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
They are in the long run; you can't ride off road at speed with Hope 1's. With AyUps you can.

That's asking for it! Off road at speed, what you really need is the latest 900 lumen wildlife destroyer. Such conversations are going on all over the land right now about which one to buy this winter.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That's asking for it! Off road at speed, what you really need is the latest 900 lumen wildlife destroyer. Such conversations are going on all over the land right now about which one to buy this winter.

tbh I was aware I was just being provocative. ;)

The thing with night riding is each individual requires a certain minimum amount and pattern of light, above that point the extra lumens are wasted or lighting the verge or the tree tops. Bit like riding at dawn on a FNRttC, it ain't daylight but you don't need your lights on to see where you are going.

johnnyh

Veteran
Fenix Torch L2D with a twofish lockblock, amazing amount of light. I use them on local country roads and it is like riding through a tunnel of light.

OP
OP
D

Donna

erm...... I was thinking up to £70-100....

basically I ride mostly on roads, but sometimes we end up on cycle paths in the dark and I have to ride on my friends back wheels almost so I can see, they already have lights..

Just get a P7 "Magicshine" for £50 and be done with it. You have additional lights already to act as backup.

AA batteries are pants... NiMH/NiCD suck(imo), Lithium Primaries are expensive, Li-ion is the way to go....

Cheap(er) option is to get the torches that use decent Cree and SSC etc LEDs (like the Fenix torches), you can get these to run off Lithium cells too, some will run off a selection (so AA or 14500 Lithium cells, remembering Lithium cells are 3.7v not 1.2v so need a torch that can run them) - problem with torches is sometimes they will shut of for change modes because of vibration as the battery compartment is nearly always sprung.

Top Bottom