which look pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

endoman

Going to upgrade from my MTB clipless pedals on road bike.
Have a mate who can get me some SiDi shoes and Look pedals at cost. I am getting the genius 5 shoes , but wonder what pedals to go with them? Don't want to go daft with cost, so maybe the keo classic or max 2?

Will be going on my Focus Cayo for riding about 700 miles a month

lejogger

Guru
I've got the Keo 2 Max. Composite on everyday bike and carbon on carbon bike. Both excellent.

I'd recommend.

amaferanga

Veteran
The look cleats are shockingly bad. Best going for 105 pedals from merlin which are cheaper, and cleats don't disintegrate if you put your foot down.

I will have a pair of Look Keo Classics for sale tomorrow if your interested, after my raving reviews :biggrin:

My Keo cleats last several months of daily use (commuting, training and racing). But then I use cleat covers if I need to walk any more than a few metres....

e-rider

crappy member
The keo classics are decent pedals but if I were buying new Looks I'd go for the Keo 2 Carbon for about £95 online.
The non-carbon version keo 2s are only £20 less so I'd get the carbon ones.

It is very true that the cleats only last 5 minutes but that's what we all live with! You could go with Shimano or Time and get cleats that last longer BUT the pedals are not as good.

I have the Look Keo Carbons. Marginally better than the Shimano Dura Ace as regards performance but the cleats wear quickly and the judging by one years wear the pedal will not last half as long as the Shimano's.

OP
OP
endoman

endoman

Will look at the Keo Carbons as well, I will be getting these at cost price off mate so will beat any on line place. Do they make some form of cleat protector for when off the bike or is that too much hassle? I'm using recessed mountain bike type cleats at the moment so don't worry. I have no walking to do other than cafe stops.

GrasB

Veteran
How much are you looking to spend? You might want to look into SpeedPlay road series of pedals (X-series/Light Action/Zero), the pedals & cleats are expensive but they're very good & the cleats wear is purely on metal parts, keep them nice n' lubricated & they'll last for years. You might be able to pick up a second hand cheap but new they start at around the £100 marker.

As for look cleats, the genuine look cleats are made of a soft plastic that doesn't chip. If you want longer life cleats then there are 3rd party cleats which last longer, however they're more vulnerable to chipping

OP
OP
endoman

endoman

How much are you looking to spend? You might want to look into SpeedPlay road series of pedals (X-series/Light Action/Zero), the pedals & cleats are expensive but they're very good & the cleats wear is purely on metal parts, keep them nice n' lubricated & they'll last for years. You might be able to pick up a second hand cheap but new they start at around the £100 marker.

As for look cleats, the genuine look cleats are made of a soft plastic that doesn't chip. If you want longer life cleats then there are 3rd party cleats which last longer, however they're more vulnerable to chipping

Mate can only supply Look pedals as far as I am aware, I was hoping to get away with spending 50 quid trade.

Rebel Ian

Get the cleat covers if you tend to trash your cleats easily. I must admit even though I managed to trash mine they still clipped in and worked fine.

Basil.B

Guru
keo max 2
thumbsup.png

lejogger

Guru
I found my Keo 2 Max Carbon for about £80 new on eBay 13 months ago, but couldnt find any less than £100 this year for my commuter/tourer, so I opted for the composite. There's barely any difference at all. The carbon are a dark grey, practically black. The composite are a much lighter grey (or white or yellow if you're after something fancy)

Definitely get some cleat covers - the look keo cleats do have a rubbery non-slip part on them but it hardly lasts for any time at all. The covers do a good job, but I must admit I do get fed up of putting them off and on all the time. Especially when you've mounted and then realise they're still on - but for a small bit of hassle you obviously get an extended life.

Let us know what you end up going for.

Top Bottom