Which mini laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am looking for a mini laptop which I can use while touring.

It must be compatible with my Garmin Edge Touring so I can sit and plan routes in the evening and then download them to my Edge Touring.

I also want it to store photos, blogging and Internet access. It would be good if it had a proper keyboard.

I don't wish to pay over £150

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mythste

Veteran
netbooks never really took off the way I think a lot of companies expected to, with tablets over taking them at alarming rates. I had an Asus eee PC which was fine for day to day activities like the mentioned above and they can now be bought for a pittance.

Alternatively, a cheap tablet might be a lighter, longer lasting alternative - providing the software side is compatible. Tesco's HUDL is incredible value.

clid61

Veteran
Ive got an acer aspire one windows 7 on it , run all the programs you need. Has 3 usb ports ( handy for using as charger) , built in wifi connection.
Cheap as chips too ,

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've a Samsung netbook; it got used for going to 'dodgy' countries where a laptop would be obvious.

You can get either a tablet (and keyboard) or similar small-screen laptop these days.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I've a Samsung netbook; it got used for going to 'dodgy' countries where a laptop would be obvious.

You can get either a tablet (and keyboard) or similar small-screen laptop these days.

What do you mean dodgy? Denmark is not that bad :smile:

albion

Guru
I thought you could just transfer your routes to a Garmin via USB direct from near anything, Android included.

Its impossible to advise though as it depends what you are using/used to. I even get the impression that a stylus and tablet would be good for route planning.

I used one of the early "Cloudbooks"

cloudbook-6.jpg

It runs on Windows XP and was limited by the 32 Gb memory and its speed

However with a large size USB stick it is still adequate for those trips where I don't want to risk the MacBook Air

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I thought you could just transfer your routes to a Garmin via USB direct from near anything, Android included.

Its impossible to advise though as it depends what you are using/used to. I even get the impression that a stylus and tablet would be good for route planning.

You cannot use an I pad or Samsung Galaxy mini. I have both and you cannot transfer between then and the Garmin device.

albion

Guru
Useless Samsung crippling their devices then, I was sure most Android devices are OTG compatible ?
Cyagenmod for the Mini probably does it but that sounds like using a big hammer to crack a nut.

On my tablet I have Osmand for UK maps with most of the world being available free to download for offline if you are so inclined. You can plot/draw to GPX but I've never pre-planned that way.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Can you not just use a phone? I had a play around this morning with my Samsung S4 phone. I can get onto and create a map on ridewithgps no problem. Save it to my phone. The only tricky part is getting it onto the Garmin. However, with a suitable adaptor I can connect my phone to a Garmin 810 (I presume the Garmin Touring is similar)
Of course it can take photos, handle internet etc

Yellow7

Über Member
Steve I use a Asus eee PC (1005), now on it's third extended tour and going well, I pack it in with my clothes to protect it better. To extend the battery life I only [normally] use it on the mains supply as the downside to Lithium battery packs is they don't like being discharged - unlike that of Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMh) cells.

As far as using a smart phone I'd struggle like hell writing my blog, it would soon be launched out the window!!
(I'll start my blog-post on China in a few day's so keep an eye out!)

StuartG

slower but further
This might have been ideal for £129. Check it doesn't come round again:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ace...on-2gb-ram-32gb-ssd-reduced-again-129-2117620

If 'compatibility with Garmin' doesn't mean running some Windows app then you get a Chromebook. Plenty around the £150 price point. Battery usage is generally 8+ hours. Here is one:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-chromebook-11-snow-white-159-hp-store-hewlett-packard-2115856

Store photo on 64Gb low profile USB sticks like this, but only for photos in transit. For safety always ensure you upload them to the cloud asap:
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/san...drive-7dayshop-com-19-99-inc-delivery-2080018

There's no moving parts in any of these devices so vibration, dropping is not an issue.

andym

Über Member
You cannot use an I pad or Samsung Galaxy mini. I have both and you cannot transfer between then and the Garmin device.

I know we've been round loop circle before, probably more than once, but you just need to copy the tracks into a folder on the micro-SD card called Garmin and then put the card in your GPS. Easy to do with Android and a pain with an iOS device but not impossible.

Top Bottom