Which mobile network should I swap to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
My EE contract is up and they're not getting another penny from me, so for a sim only deal with upto 10g of data who should I choose?

Texts and minutes aren't too relevant as I hardly ever use it as an actual phone.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My EE contract is up and they're not getting another penny from me, so for a sim only deal with upto 10g of data who should I choose?

Texts and minutes aren't too relevant as I hardly ever use it as an actual phone.
You might be as well to check who gives the best coverage if it’s more for data use when out and about? I’m with O2, mainly because I get decent 4G around here.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Possibly Giffgaf ?

EE and Voda in our house. EE's always been good data wise, but in the last year it's rubbish at our caravan and voda is now better ? Weird.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I am with GiffGaff and have been for years. They piggy back on O2 and their customer service is very good.

I pay £10 a month and have unlimited texts and calls plus 6meg of data a month. I have my own phone so have no phone cost involved. You can cancel anytime with no drama.

If you feel you might like a try with them, let me know as they would give you a fiver for joining and me a fiver for recommending them. If you just ask for a SIM, you get nothing

midlife

Guru
I'm with giffgaff as are the rest of the family, not the cheapest but good coverage from 02 and I like the online interface. And I can stop it anytime as its not a contract as such.

gbb

Legendary Member
Giffgaff here, never let me down, a good solid PAYG monthly service, takes the money automatically once you've set up, no problems I've noticed with service or network availability.

Zeffer

Just found this piggybacking article, might help:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/piggybacking/

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Another vote for Tesco who use the O2 network. The Tesco Rocketpack allows you to vary your monthly purchase between £5 and £20 according to your needs.

Generally I find mobile data is a very small part of my usage. Wifi is available everywhere so make use of it. The last 22 days I've used 176mb out of the 500mb I chose to purchase this month.

I don't understand the urge to buy massive amounts of data when wifi is free just about anywhere.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
GiffGaff here.. No contract, and can change tarrifs each month should I require more or less data.
Never yet had any problems.

D

Deleted member 26715

All depends on who gives you the best signal in the area you're going to spend most of your time, also if you need a specific feature such as WiFi calling, I'm currently with Plusnet £6.30pm 4Gb data, unlimited calls, unlimited SMS, but they do not offer WiFi calling although they are owned by BT who own in turn EE who Plusnet piggyback off & EE do. So really it's you pays your money & you takes your choice, if you're not sure get a 1 month rolling contract & test each, costs you nothing to port your number over & theoretically you shouldn't have to speak to anybody, it's all now done by SMS

What's wrong with EE? Probably one of the better networks with good customer service. I normally find a deal online which is about what I want, ring up EE, get put through to retentions and negotiate based on the deal I've found. Occasionally I've had a hard arsed rep who's refused to budge. I just ring back a few days later and get someone else. I think I pay about 6 quid a month for a few Gb of data and calls and stuff. My son pays a tenner for 10GB, all done through retentions.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Cheers everyone, I travel around a bit so signal coverage is going to vary for me anyway, and I'm not always within range of wifi.

The reason I'm not staying with EE is this -

Last August I took out a sim only with them, opting to pay by card each month rather than DD. One of my first questions was, can I use it in Europe? And I was told I could.

A month later I'm in Germany for work and my phone isn't working, using my work mobile to contact EE I'm told the reason I have no roaming is because I'm not on DD.

Once home I go back into the shop and stick my contract on the counter, 'oh yes it's because you're not on DD,' I hear, I'll gloss over my appraisal of their service.

So onto DD I go and this June I'm back in Hannover where once again my phone isn't working, this time the excuse is that it's because sim only deals don't qualify for roaming, pointing out that it's a different excuse to last time, and that the MY EE app on my phone says I have unlimited calls in the EU, doesn't seem to get me anywhere.

My contract's now up at twelve months so to use the vernacular, EE can stick it right up their ring.

Top Bottom