Which MTB to Buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am at a point where N+1 is around the corner. However I can't make up my mind if I go full sus or hard tail. At 6'4 I fancy a 29er, relatively slack and a sensible price (sub £1500)
My current bike is a 2004 Stumpy so very old geo and only 100mm of travel, but with lock out.
At my price point the only 29 full sus that is in stock is the Norco Fluid FS. It looks great but reviews are mixed, it is a little portly and it doesn't lock out (Although there are claims it makes little difference with the new suspension linkages) . The alternative would be to go for a hardtail where there seems to be a wide choice with a better spec and unsurprisingly a lot lighter.
It will be ridden at trail centres (reds and blacks), a bit of techy bridleway stuff in the Peaks and the odd endurance xc type race. No hardcore downhill as I don't have the ability or desire at my age.
Wise words gratefully received. :okay:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I would go FS, there so good now, in that you dont lose power anywhere near like you used too.
29 slack will be perfect with your frame, plus your back will love you too

D

Deleted member 26715

See if you can borrow a 29er for a day, they are great for trails but not very good for any techy stuff they (or at least mine) do not like turning & twisting.

Drago

Legendary Member
The differing requirements will make life difficult. A full squidge with relaxed geometry but which has sufficiently sharp geometry to manage red and black trails, and then a different set of requirements for XC.

Without a boost in budget - Mr Skol's assessment is bang on the money - I'd be looking at a hard tail of middling geometry. I'm the same height as Hacienda and have 26, 27.5 and 29 MTBs, and like the 29 the least - it's a one trick pony, rolls well...and that's it. Its horrific in wet conditions where the extra diameter of the wheels allows them to carry an extra kilo or more of mud each. I do accept that is largely a taste thing though.

Remember as well that you can change rake and trail with tyre size changes, and it's not unusual to find MTBers who are really into it actually running a fatter tyre on the front.

You choice of general purpose HTs at that price range is vast. Time to do some homework, come up with a shortlist, and visit some shops.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
See if you can borrow a 29er for a day, they are great for trails but not very good for any techy stuff they (or at least mine) do not like turning & twisting.

You need to ride a new one Sir..
There nothing like what they were 3 yr ago
This thing is exceptional. And SinL has a Trek 29 that is even better in the twisty do it all stakes.
Only limiting factor is my bravery!!

IMG_20190531_170338.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

You need to ride a new one Sir..
There nothing like what they were 3 yr ago
You might be right mine is actually 3 years old, but I'm not prepared to buy another one, I think bikes are vastly overpriced, so will have to make do with what I have.

Go Outdoors Calibre range falls in budget as does Boardman, you might find a Cube or a Trek on sale and check trail centres for ex-hires which can have very little use and you can get a Canyon Neuron.

Levo-Lon

Guru
You might be right mine is actually 3 years old, but I'm not prepared to buy another one, I think bikes are vastly overpriced, so will have to make do with what I have.

I know its staggering what they cost.

I paid £2700 in January for my Epic in the sale, grand off.. No way id pay 3700 for a new one, and this year they're £3800!!

Son in laws bike is 4k he got his for 2.8k as it was scratched, carbon with carbon wheels.. Again he couldn't pay 4k..it's a fabulous bike and still cheap compared to what's for sale.
Bloody new car money! Scary

The winter sales ate whete to look i think

Top Bottom