Which MTB to Buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Rip-off Britain charging 20-30% more for goods into UK as well
It'll only get worse ;)

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I might look at 27.5 as well. There seem to be better deals, wider choice and better reviews at that cost, I have been riding 26ers for years so not totally opposed to the smaller wheel. The advice for taller guys though seems to be 29ers are a better fit. I have spotted a full sus Lapierre 27.5 reduced to within budget from £2k
The xc race stuff is only once or twice a year and not all that competitive, so is less of a priority than trails, bridleways etc.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I might look at 27.5 as well. There seem to be better deals, wider choice and better reviews at that cost, I have been riding 26ers for years so not totally opposed to the smaller wheel. The advice for taller guys though seems to be 29ers are a better fit. I have spotted a full sus Lapierre 27.5 reduced to within budget from £2k
The xc race stuff is only once or twice a year and not all that competitive, so is less of a priority than trails, bridleways etc.

Depending on what your going to ride terrain wise, watch for over long traval.

Upto 140mm is ideal for most things uk.

120mm 130mm even better for trail centres and woodland cycle tracks.
Big 170 + bikes really are for tearing down a mountain with big hits.

They'll kill your ride on normal stuff and you wont be enjoying it..

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Depending on what your going to ride terrain wise, watch for over long traval.

Upto 140mm is ideal for most things uk.

120mm 130mm even better for trail centres and woodland cycle tracks.
Big 170 + bikes really are for tearing down a mountain with big hits.

They'll kill your ride on normal stuff and you wont be enjoying it..

The Norco 29er is 130 front 120 rear
The Lapierre 27.5 is 150mm front and rear.
Both have a slack head angle and are fairly low slung although one criticism of the Norco was the BB could be a bit lower. It is also heavy, although I suspect going tubeless and upgrading a few bits and bobs would get the weight down a bit.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Numpty alert, what does this mean?
It is the angle of the head tube. Slacker makes the bike longer making it more stable going downhill, less pitched forward. Xc bikes tend to have steeper head angles down hill bikes shallower (slacker). Trend for trail type bikes in the last few years is to have slacker head angles.

Levo-Lon

Guru
It is the angle of the head tube. Slacker makes the bike longer making it more stable going downhill, less pitched forward. Xc bikes tend to have steeper head angles down hill bikes shallower (slacker). Trend for trail type bikes in the last few years is to have slacker head angles.

Most of the new gen slack 27-29 ers have the same BB height now with short stack height.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS the new calibre bossnut is out as well.

fossyant

As you know, I like my Boardman. There are still some 2016 FS Pros about (the blue ones) and these have GX and Pikes. The newer 8.8 isn't quite as well specced. They aren't super slack though.

fossyant

130/140 seems to be the sweet spot for UK Trails. 150 plus its Enduro territory and the things get less good to pedal all day.

My colleague recently got a 180mm Canyon, bit of a beast but too big a bike for most stuff as its best for big gnarly downhill. He only had it six weeks before it was stolen.

fossyant

The Merlin is small and medium only.. argh. OK for a short ar$e like me...

Actually all have same top tube length, and the medium is an 18" which would be too big for me with a 125mm dropper, so might be suitable for you to run a longer dropper. Its not particularly slack at a 70 degree head tube

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

The Merlin is small and medium only.. argh. OK for a short ar$e like me...

Actually all have same top tube length, and the medium is an 18" which would be too big for me with a 125mm dropper, so might be suitable for you to run a longer dropper. Its not particularly slack at a 70 degree head tube
Quite like the look of the 2020 Bossnut. First reviews look about as good as it gets at lower price point. Already have the right size dropper of my Stumpy and they are in stock in my size. Very tempted and won't break the bank. The FS 29ers at that price aren't getting fantastic reviews.

Top Bottom