Which? Oval chain ring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
So on my crimbo list are oval chain rings. Which ones do I go for? Maybe just stick to the outer one first? I run ultegra groupset.

Thanks in advance.

:P

Lozz360

Veteran
Can’t see any point in having anything other than just the outer ring as an oval. Then again, is there any evidence that they offer any advantage even for the pros?

betty swollocks

large member
I have an absoluteblack oval chain ring on one of my bikes with a 1x11 set up.
I think it has two advantages:-
  • it feels nice
  • it enables me to maintain a climbing speed for longer, especially when standing on the pedals
On balance, I prefer it over round chain rings.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I just want the outer really. Many swear by them.

Have someone being watching the GCN* advertising show again ? ;)

Oval rings come and go regularly and a very few people stick with them. If they were noticeably better for many cyclists then you'd see them everywhere, I know a lot of cyclists from fat pootlers to race snakes and only one has tried and stuck with them and he's a triathlete and reckons it helps with the post bike running.

But hey its a Christmas pressie which is the ideal time for frivolities

* aka the You Pay, We Say show

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru

Oval rings come and go regularly and a very few people stick with them. If they were noticeably better for many cyclists then you'd see them everywhere, I know a lot of cyclists from fat pootlers to race snakes and only one has tried and stuck with them and he's a triathlete and reckons it helps with the post bike running.

They look the pups nuts and I need a few extra teeth anyway. Spin out down hills on a 50.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru

https://www.merlincycles.com/rotor-...s8qOkkYvD9Bz9EqAm7mfQA_52LMnS4OhoC-0wQAvD_BwE

It’s all about performance

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Spinning out on 50 ? Learn to up widen your cadence. Improve your performance ? Learn to train more efficiently. Want to bling bike ? Open your wallet.

But if you want to go faster all round join a good racing club and get good coaching. Spending on bits is fun but does little to nothing for your speed really unless your bike is a pile of pants BSO and I'm guessing it's not.

I have lots shiney bits on my fancy bikes but I go no faster than I did before but I like how it looks.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Spinning out on 50 ? Learn to up widen your cadence. Improve your performance ? Learn to train more efficiently. Want to bling bike ? Open your wallet.

But if you want to go faster all round join a good racing club and get good coaching. Spending on bits is fun but does little to nothing for your speed really unless your bike is a pile of pants BSO and I'm guessing it's not.

I have lots shiney bits on my fancy bikes but I go no faster than I did before but I like how it looks.
I see your point, I have been improving my cadence lately. I think about when Lance came back after cancer juicing on about 5 banned PED’s with his super high cadence. It does help me spin.

Top Bottom