Which pannier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I am looking for a pair of panniers for my new EBC touring bike so I can use it for it's intended purpose as a commuting/utility/touring bike. I have around £50 to spend ideally as this will leave me enough for a decent d-lock and insurance for the bike.

I have had a look mainly at the Deuter uni panniers from wiggle, out of stock ATM, and they look good for the price but they aren't waterproof which may pose a problem on tours. Capacity wise, maybe 40 litres for the pair or somewhere in that area, I don't whopping huge ones though.

Your buying advice is most welcome. If any more detail are required, give me a bell
smile.gif

soulful dog

Veteran
Those Deuter uni panniers look great for the price, doubt you'd be able to beat that anywhere else, though I guess that's why there's no stock. Either Lidl or Aldi did Ortlieb style panniers in their 'winter' sale last year (sometime in the autumn) if you're happy to wait a while.

Perhaps someone will have cheaper alternatives, but if you could stretch your budget to another £15, what about EBC's own waterproof panniers?

Down from £74.99 to £64.99 -Revolution Adventure Welded Panniers

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
Those Red products panniers look good for the money but unfortunately the website won't accept any orders under £49
angry.gif

The EBC ones look good, if a little pricey, but it is one option to consider. Any others that people would recommend?

Also meant to ask, even though I stated 40 litres as a figure, it is good for every da stuff as I said but would that be enough space for touring or should I get another set later on that has a larger capacity for that sort of riding?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Those Red products panniers look good for the money but unfortunately the website won't accept any orders under £49
angry.gif

The EBC ones look good, if a little pricey, but it is one option to consider. Any others that people would recommend?

Also meant to ask, even though I stated 40 litres as a figure, it is good for every da stuff as I said but would that be enough space for touring or should I get another set later on that has a larger capacity for that sort of riding?

I would also recommend the EBC ones. They are made by Vaude and are very good quality, if a bit loud looking. My boss has a pair and they are almost on a par with my Ortliebs

HelenD123

Legendary Member

40 litres on the back should be enough. Any more than that and you should be looking at getting front panniers as well otherwise you'll have too much weight on the back.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have a pair of those EBC ones on order, hopefully they'll come some time in the week and then I can finally begin commuting on my tourer.

Also ordered a pair of bottle cages while I was at it to fit for £8 as I haven't got any ATM to put on this new bike. I did get a free metal bottle sent as a freebie though which I'll pair up with my existing plastic bottle.

Still need to get a good D-lock, looking at the Kryptonite Evo Mini, found it cheapest at Amazon for £30 but haven't clicked the buy button yet.

Top Bottom