Which pieces of cycling equipment have impressed you in 2007?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
Vangard Elite MTS 469 base layer - feels like a soft brushed cotton and wicks superbly (I sweat easily). Thanks to the Bike Radar reviews section for that one!

Another vote for Garmin Edge 305 until I left it on top of the car and drove off! Doh Doh Doh Doh
So Now Garmin Edge 205 hardly used the HRM and didnt understand the results on the 305

Bigtallfatbloke

I bought so much gear in 2007 and I'm pretty happy with all of it (the exceptions being a rain cape that is not 'one size fits all' and a small hand pump which was designed to rip out presta valves from my tubes, both of which came from Halfords)

Daws Galaxy 2007
brookes B17 Champion (Honey)
Shimano spd double sided pedals
Topeak mini morph pump
Halfords track pump
Carradice front and rear overlander panniers
Carradice overlander bar bag
Decathlon T2 tent
Alpkit air sleep mat
Blacks sleep mat
Trangia 27 cookset
Blacks XXXL sleep bag
DHB waterproof over trousers
Endura night vision jacket (black)
Nike walkable road shoes
Nike neoprene overshoes
Specialized arm warmers
Aldi cycle gloves
Aldi cycle jacket
Cycle computer
heart rate moniter
mini palm size Digital TV
DhB shorts padded
Nike shorts unpadded
Decathlon silk under/inner gloves
Decathlon wind stopper balaclava
Gore windstopper bib longs
..and some other stuff like tubes, brake blocks, goldeneye maps etc

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
(1) Edinburgh Bike Shop workstand and toolkit
(2) Shimano M520 SPD pedals
(3) My new Creative Reflectives hi-viz & reflective rucksack cover (which actually fits with lots of room to spare, unlike the Respro Hump which came apart)
(4) Polaris Silicon jersey
(5) My cheap '2006 sell-off' dHb bib-longs (apart from the zip, which unlike the first pair I bought has no catch on it so that it unzips when you lean forward on the bike)
(6) The Edinburgh Bike Shop Intensive All-Day Maintenance course (worth every penny of the £45 it cost)

Shop of 2007 was Chain Reaction Cycles - for top-notch customer service and free (usually next day) delivery.

Tynan

Veteran
goo_mason said:
(5) My cheap '2006 sell-off' dHb bib-longs (apart from the zip, which unlike the first pair I bought has no catch on it so that it unzips when you lean forward on the bike)

Does sir have a paunch/belly/gut

They're the same as mine I think and I' fine with the zip and I understand that zip now after reading about people raging about it

it's just low enough to barely let you piss with some contortion and care, gents, keep a finger between the zip and your vitals when zipping

which leads smoothly onto why the zip only goes as low as it does, you don't have zips in your underwear for a reason, bad place for zips

goo_mason

Tynan said:
Does sir have a paunch/belly/gut

They're the same as mine I think and I' fine with the zip and I understand that zip now after reading about people raging about it

it's just low enough to barely let you piss with some contortion and care, gents, keep a finger between the zip and your vitals when zipping

which leads smoothly onto why the zip only goes as low as it does, you don't have zips in your underwear for a reason, bad place for zips

A little spare flesh, I'll admit. But I own no other clothes, cycling or otherwise, that don't have a zip with a catch to stop it unzipping involuntarily. I just found it a bit strange that two pairs of the same year's range have completely different zips. Maybe they were a dodgy batch, hence they were sold off cheap. Even if I was the world's slimmest man, with a concave stomach, that bloody zip would undo the minute I bent over !

Hugo15

Über Member
goo_mason said:
(1) Edinburgh Bike Shop workstand and toolkit
(2) Shimano M520 SPD pedals
(3) My new Creative Reflectives hi-viz & reflective rucksack cover (which actually fits with lots of room to spare, unlike the Respro Hump which came apart)
(4) Polaris Silicon jersey
(6) The Edinburgh Bike Shop Intensive All-Day Maintenance course (worth every penny of the £45 it cost)

Shop of 2007 was Chain Reaction Cycles - for top-notch customer service and free (usually next day) delivery.

1 and 6 are in my top buys of the year too. The maintenance course was great and I managedd to get one of their workstands in the sales with £20 off. I am also liking the Endura skull cap my daughters got me for Xmas - great taste for a 4 year old and not quite 3 months!!

SamNichols

Hugo15 said:
1 and 6 are in my top buys of the year too. The maintenance course was great and I managedd to get one of their workstands in the sales with £20 off. I am also liking the Endura skull cap my daughters got me for Xmas - great taste for a 4 year old and not quite 3 months!!

I got the tool kit for Christmas, not used it yet but it all looks good quality, and it holds everything I'll ever need (not bad for £25 as it is in the sales).

goo_mason

SamNichols said:
I got the tool kit for Christmas, not used it yet but it all looks good quality, and it holds everything I'll ever need (not bad for £25 as it is in the sales).

Only toolkit part I found useless was the crank puller on the end of one of the three-pointed allen key things. You get no leverage on it and it starts breaking when you strain it. I had to go out and buy a proper crank puller (and a chain whip - the one they have is good, but it was a pain to have to keep putting together).

Biotex String Vest

2198705051_0b511b5097_o.jpg

Absolutely the best bit of clothing I have. Keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer - you can cycle in 35 degrees of heat with this under your shirt and you don't even get hot. It's amazing.

That's me wearing it btw...

bonj2

i probably take them for granted a bit actually, but i really like my corbin padlock (like the ones on page 11 of this and maggigroup chain.

mikeitup

Veteran
A big up for my Cateye Micro Wireless.

Worked all through the crap weather and even after a 40 deg wash cycle and 60 mins in the dryer.

Top Bottom