Which pieces of cycling equipment have impressed you in 2007?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
A shout-out to Ground Effect of New Zealand. I bought some of their gear a few months ago to keep out the nip on winter rides. Although it's aimed towards mountain-bikers, its snug enough on the 'broader-chested' gentleman who rides the road. I've ended up using their merino stuff for my commutes, as it's much more ming-resistant than synthetics. M'collegues thank them.

ratty2k

My Northwave Celcius GTX boots have been brilliant all winter. Dry warm feet are so nice!

Tynan

Veteran
soaking weather tonight, water everywhere and soaking feet courtesy of the Diadora Chillis, 'waterproof' my arse

am I on the wrong thread?

bonj2

Tynan said:
soaking weather tonight, water everywhere and soaking feet courtesy of the Diadora Chillis, 'waterproof' my arse

am I on the wrong thread?

yes, but it's always good to know so others don't make the same mistake. My advice is don't stand for it - complain to where you bought them from and complain to diadora.

Tynan

Veteran
got them half price on ebay from a bike shop in Preston, who pointedly didn't advertise them as waterproof, some sites say they are, some say they aren't, I had read people saying they weren't but lots of other said they were

they're moderately decent as cold weather shoes and I have no inclination to take this up with an Italian company, I think, in hindsight, they're discontinued now for this reason amongst others, the tab for sealing the ankle is patently useless for the purpose

ta though

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
aldi's cranesports overshoes (from last year). brilliant at keeping my shoes dry on my (admittedly fairly short) commute. only cost about £3. if they keep the same design for next year, get some.

Plax

Guru
1) My bike (Only a GT Nomad Sport, but far, far better than the crappy apollo CX.10)
2) Altura Nevis jacket
3) Clipless Pedals & Shoes
4) Altura Jersey.

yello

What a positive thread!

I've bought quite a bit of stuff this year and am pretty darn pleased with the majority of it. One bit of kit stands out though, the Garmin Edge 305. It has quite literally changed the way I ride. I like long meandering rides but hate having to stop to consult maps. With the Edge, I just create a track in advance and follow it. If I fancy going off route, I do as I can always see where I am in relation to the track and ride myself back towards it. I still carry a map but as a backup!

Mention also of the dhb 3/4 bibs and rapha arm warmers. The latter only because I paid a fiver for them!

ghitchen

Rapha Merino sleeveless baselayer. Last year's model at £30 in the sale. So nice I haven't been able to bring myself to wear it on a bike ride yet, I just wear it all the time under normal clothes when not at work. Really must wash it sometime!

Tynan

Veteran
strolled into LBS today for a power link thingy and saw the classic bin of half price kit

one gillet and one pair of gloves bought, both Pearl Izumi and seem very good when tested n the front room

I loves the half price bin

A few more quids and I'd have had some nice gore tops

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I got an Altura Nevis jacket in a sale at a LBS yesterday, my old one has taken five years of heavy use and is still water proof...

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I forgot to mention my 'Executive' hi-viz / reflective waistcoat from www.sitesupplyco.com. Just over £5 before VAT and postage at the mo (so £9.40 by the time they're added) - bargain and a great piece of kit. Zipped, lots of pockets for staff ID badge, keys and locker token (plus a pen pocket, d-ring and plastic-fronted ID pocket).

Light and breathable too :tongue:

sloe

Pearl Izumi fluorescent gilet. Keeps you warm or cool depending how you zip it. Has a mesh panel for the back, a good internal pocket, breathes, repels water, shines out like a beacon, fits me.

Top Bottom