Which 'quick link'/power link, whatever they're called

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Been reading about snapped chains over in the caff.
I have 3 bikes, and I have no idea what make of chains they have on them.
The MTB has 7 sprockets at the back, the roadie and the tourer have 8.
I have chain tools (have practised on an old chain, sort of know what to do, but have never had to do it 'in the wild'.
If I want to get spare 'quick links'/power links/kmc thingumybobs, anyone know what I should get?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Get a quicklink that matches the chain, so if you have 8 sprockets then you need an 8 speed quick link. I have a 9 speed KMC quick link in the saddle bag of my 9 speed bike.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
And 7-8 speed chains are the same size (width wise) but I'd go for one that matches the chain brand (and put an 8 on the 7 speed)
Are chain brands written on them somewhere? Not sure I've ever looked, tbh...and I've never changed them myself (different bike shops)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The MTB has 7 sprockets at the back, the roadie and the tourer have 8.
Ebay and similar sell them in 2/4 packs. Afaik 5/6/7/8 speed take the same kmc reusable quick link. They work on shimano and kmc chains, don't know abut other brands, but once I rescued a pal on a 3 speed, my quick link worked on it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you get KMC Missing links, you might consider getting their link opening pliers. Sometimes the links disconnect with a gentle squeeze and a pull with just your fingers, and sometimes they are simply impossible to get undone without a tool.

(calling @Fnaar)

Tim Hall

If you get KMC Missing links, you might consider getting their link opening pliers. Sometimes the links disconnect with a gentle squeeze and a pull with just your fingers, and sometimes they are simply impossible to get undone without a tool.

(calling @Fnaar)
Top tip for recalcitrant quick links when out on the road. Put the chain on the big ring, but with one tooth skipped, such that the qicklink sticks out from the chain ring. Twat it with a rock, big spanner or other suitable implement. Shazam! The link opens.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Top tip for recalcitrant quick links when out on the road. Put the chain on the big ring, but with one tooth skipped, such that the qicklink sticks out from the chain ring. Twat it with a rock, big spanner or other suitable implement. Shazam! The link opens.
Do mean letting the links either side of the quicklink remain held by the teeth on the big ring, and then clobbering the quicklink itself as it floats loose above the chainring? This sounds interesting.

Tim Hall

Do mean letting the links either side of the quicklink remain held by the teeth on the big ring, and then clobbering the quicklink itself as it floats loose above the chainring? This sounds interesting.
Sort of. The quick link points out from the chain ring, like a shark's fin. One end held secure by the chain ring, the other sticking up. Hit the sticking up end.

Ah. Link on the CTC website here.

Fnaar, beware that only some makes of joining link are able to be re-opened. This doesn't bother me as I never take a chain off once fitted, but if you're one of those like many on here who like to take their chains off for cleaning you'll need to watch out for that.

Top Bottom