which road shorts under £30?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Have just bought a pair of Endura shorts as thats what the lbs had in my size.Judging by the replies I will get a pair of dhb bibshorts as well and see how it goes.

Many thanks for all the advice.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Another vote for Wiggle's dhb bib shorts. Fantastic value and supremely comfy.

I bought some Lusso bib shorts once, mostly because the factory (or finishing off shop) is about 100 yards from my office. Sorry to say that they didn't last long and the legs were too short.

koro

I dont mean to hijack this thread, but am also thinking of buying some shorts. A question I have about the bib shorts is that, do they pull down on your shoulders in the same way as a pair of overalls do? or slide off your shoulders, I would hate to be fiddling.

Cubist

Still wavin'
koro said:
I dont mean to hijack this thread, but am also thinking of buying some shorts. A question I have about the bib shorts is that, do they pull down on your shoulders in the same way as a pair of overalls do? or slide off your shoulders, I would hate to be fiddling.
No, no fiddling. They're great. Can't think what I did before I owned some. Mine were in the wash today and I ended up putting an old pair of waist shorts on. They felt crap.

thanos

i am considering these as my first pair (and i said id never wear lycra, maybe ill have something light on top ;) ).
What do you guys think?

Initially i had a tough time locating good budget shorts on wiggle that werent bibs (i guess i was overwhelmed by the selection of the bib-kind).. i believe they must be comfortable and stay in place, but i am not comfortable with the look / feel especially as im trying to shed clothing in the summer.

BearPear

Veteran
As a person with a long body, do bibs come with length options (as a lady, I always have to scout out the "longer body length" swimming cozzies, otherwise I have a permanent stoop at the pool!

Shady

Another +1 for Wiggle Dhb Bib Shorts - used to wear normal shorts as I thought bib shorts made my look like a dodgy eastern bloc weight lifter !!

BUT ... I now own two pairs and I reach for them before my normal shorts, much more comfortable but not as easy to nip to the toilet in !!!

Shady

jimboalee

Rule 1. 'Don't skimp on shorts'.

Pay the money. Buying cheap shorts is a false economy.

Rule 2. 'Don't wear 'bib' shorts on a ride where you might need to stop for a dump'.

'Bibs' are OK for the pros and racers who are riding for a few hours and WILL NOT stop. For the likes of us, who ride for more than a few hours and visit the lavvy at cafes and behind trees, bibs are a blinding nightmare.

Lusso CoolMax ProGel is my choice.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
not learned to take your bra off without removing your blouse then Jimboalee?

I've not found long rides / dumps / bibs to be a problem myself

redjedi

Über Member
koro said:

When you're standing up straight you will feel them, but when you're bent over in the riding position (;)) you won't even notice they are there.

thanos said:
i am considering these as my first pair (and i said id never wear lycra, maybe ill have something light on top :ohmy: ).
What do you guys think?

Initially i had a tough time locating good budget shorts on wiggle that werent bibs (i guess i was overwhelmed by the selection of the bib-kind).. i believe they must be comfortable and stay in place, but i am not comfortable with the look / feel especially as im trying to shed clothing in the summer.

As long as you wear a jersey over the top of the bibs no one will know that you're wearing bibs but you.

BearPear said:
As a person with a long body, do bibs come with length options (as a lady, I always have to scout out the "longer body length" swimming cozzies, otherwise I have a permanent stoop at the pool!

Bib sizing charts usually have a height measurement as well. That's what you need to look for as the most important measurement. If you're on the edge of two sizes go for the smaller one. Lycra is very stretchy.

I also try to avoid the proper "racing" shorts as the lycra can be very thin. The DHB and Lusso shorts are quite a thick material which I prefer.

redjedi

Über Member
GregCollins said:

I've never had a problem myself, but then I don't usually need to take a dump whilst on a ride. If I did I would use a toilet where I could strip naked if I wanted to.

I would imagine it would be slightly more difficult for ladies out in the wild, but wear a base layer under the jersey and then it wouldn't be much different to just normal shorts.

jimboalee

GregCollins said:

Each to their own.

I find it easier to wear waist shorts. I have worn bibs on long rides and my opinion is they are more bother than they are worth.

The reason 'bib' shorts were invented was to accommodate the rider who doesn't have a defined waistline and looks more like Monsieur Michelin than a cyclist.

If you do have a defined waistline, choose the correct size shorts and you will not have a problem.

Top Bottom