Which roads/motorways do you really hate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
A diversion is to be constructed on the opposites side of the ravine - bye bye Cote de Blubberhouses as it does not seem the old road will be retained as a bridleway presunably due to the landslide risk
https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/roads...t-schemes-and-plans/a59-kex-gill-re-alignment

I've only been up CdB once - the Thursday of the 2019 UCIs when the A59 was meant to be shut to road traffic - it wasn't.

I rode up it during COVID when traffic was negligible, ride surface was awful and not a road I'll ride again unless it becomes a bridleway.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The last time I drove to Cornwall I had a very pleasant overnight stop in Bristol. I'd have done the whole journey in one go in the past. If stopping over is an option, I'd recommend it.

Yes, would have to do that to have any chance.

Not a ‘hate’, but l don’t like the ‘new’ A1 between FerryBridge & HookMoor

Another reason was, when towing the BWSOW, the slip-road from ‘M62 eastbound’ onto the ‘new A1’ was very short (as the ‘M62 westbound’ traffic joins it )
Plus there seems to be a reluctance to trim the vegetation as the two converge, reducing visibility

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
I rode up it during COVID when traffic was negligible, ride surface was awful and not a road I'll ride again unless it becomes a bridleway.

I had to drop a gear to cope with the roughness. There was a scheme to extend the M65 westwards which never happened which might have reduced traffic on the A59.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm not sure if it's M5 or M6, but going past Birmingham northbound where there are loads of joins in the road. Feels like you're driving along railway sleepers. And usually very busy, narrow lanes and some comparatively tight bends

Sounds like the Tame Valley / Bromford Viaduct on the M6 to me. Longest viaduct in the country.

Alex321

Veteran
Sounds like the Tame Valley / Bromford Viaduct on the M6 to me. Longest viaduct in the country.

I think it more likely he is talking about the raised section of the M5 between junctions 3 and 1. There is one bend on that section which always did have a guideline max speed of 50 ( the whole section is now 50 limit).

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It may seem a bit trivial compared to some of the tales here but I have gone off the A85 from Oban eastwards. A mixture of business travel and slothful tourists and the short stretch from Oban to Connel has regular accidents due to impatience probably and some rushing for ferries which do not wait.
In the past I used this road at least every fortnight heading for a ferry and when held up by some idiot who cannot go above 35mph and with limited overtaking opportunities there is a terrible temptation to just go for it. To add to my wrath I got past one such only to get directed into a layby for a routine police safety check and seeing him cruise past in front of me again.
I now use this road about once per month and it only gets worse.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
How life and attitudes can quickly change.
Since I started this thread my wife became very ill and my driving restricted to local shopping (she recently passed away).
My point being that I have been asked to consider driving to Cornwall next year (350+ miles) and I don't think I could do it!
This from a guy that drove all over Europe for both job and pleasure.

Strange I feel the same as my situation is similar. I used to shuttle up and down the A90 to and from Aberdeen but cannot face it now.

Mike_P

Guru
Re the A59 it seems a bit of assumption was made today on the basis of what the norm.
IMG_20230719_184006.jpg

That being on the section east of the A1(M) where it acts as a link road between the A1(M) (to and from the north) and York; a good proportion of the bulky HGV traffic that uses it cross the Pennines having gone north from Harrogate on the A61 to join the A1 north east of Ripon. The part of the A61 to Ripon is actually is not too awkward to cycle one, typically a quite wide carriageway meaning it's rare to find queue forming behind. A bit twisty on the entry to Ripon but is largely downgrade and consequently is a section I avoid in the opposite direction.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I hate all motorways but the M6 in particular. I'd rather have to go further on an A road than go on the motorway.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm not sure if it's M5 or M6, but going past Birmingham northbound where there are loads of joins in the road. Feels like you're driving along railway sleepers. And usually very busy, narrow lanes and some comparatively tight bends

I went up the M5/M6 around Birmingham on Sunday... *thud* *thud* *thud* *thud* *thud* *thud* *thudud* *thud* *thud*

I much prefer to take the A442 and A458 between Worcester and Shrewsbury, avoiding the motorway completely, usually the time difference between the two routes is minutes.

Top Bottom