Which roads/motorways do you really hate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
In my cycling club, Wednesday ride days we'd most likely head east to this place. https://www.elainestearooms.com/ The worst part of the journey was the few miles on the A59 from Clitheroe to I can't remember the turn off @ColinJ will know it. I hated those few miles! Road kill that could bring you off your bike ( I hit a dead pheasant and wobbled badly, annoyingly not pointed out by the rider in front! 🧐 ), massive wagons spraying you as they passed a few feet away on rainy days, etc etc. Why we had to go that way and not through the villages/hamlets on the way I do not know!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have only ridden that stretch of road once, and made sure never to do it again!

Were they all time triallists who spend most of their time bombing up and down such busy roads? :whistle:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not so much a particular road, but any unlit dual carriageway at dusk/in the dark, esp when it's raining... As I get older, I find those increasingly difficult to deal with 🤔 I don't drive a lot, so it isn't a huge issue, thankfully 👍🛣️

Jameshow

Veteran
In my cycling club, Wednesday ride days we'd most likely head east to this place. https://www.elainestearooms.com/ The worst part of the journey was the few miles on the A59 from Clitheroe to I can't remember the turn off @ColinJ will know it. I hated those few miles! Road kill that could bring you off your bike ( I hit a dead pheasant and wobbled badly, annoyingly not pointed out by the rider in front! 🧐 ), massive wagons spraying you as they passed a few feet away on rainy days, etc etc. Why we had to go that way and not through the villages/hamlets on the way I do not know!

Yeap a59 is a horrid road, as is the A65 dangerous in fact too many blind corners that a milk lorry can come round and not see you.

Good job there are several quiet options to the north.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Paris periferique

I've never driven that, but I do find the Caen peripherique very stressful. Junctions very close together and very short slip roads.

In general I don't like the A12 that runs down E London past the Olympic site. It's not actually all that bad but you just know there is a big queue for the Blackwall Tunnel awaiting you soon.

Yeap a59 is a horrid road, as is the A65 dangerous in fact too many blind corners that a milk lorry can come round and not see you.

The A59 could be horrible on a bike, from Menwith Hill (US listening post), via Ravens Peak (landslide area, where road is always closed)
Dropping down Beamsley Bank used to be scary, if you wanted to turn towards Storiths, & ’Buffers’, as it was a 3-laner, with a central/shared ‘suicide lane’!!
Most of the time it was far safer to pull to the kerb & wait for a gap on all 3 lanes

Mike_P

Guru
The A59 could be horrible on a bike, from Menwith Hill (US listening post), via Ravens Peak (landslide area, where road is always closed)
A diversion is to be constructed on the opposites side of the ravine - bye bye Cote de Blubberhouses as it does not seem the old road will be retained as a bridleway presunably due to the landslide risk
https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/roads...t-schemes-and-plans/a59-kex-gill-re-alignment

I've only been up CdB once - the Thursday of the 2019 UCIs when the A59 was meant to be shut to road traffic - it wasn't.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Thinking about it, we did a good few miles on the A59 on the return journey. We sometimes turned off the A59 to the right, to head to the village of Chatburn. Those moments when we looked behind to check it was safe to cross to the middle of the road, then the wait for oncoming traffic to pass so we could make a dash to that quiet road were pretty scary! Maybe I'm seeing these things through a bad light as I haven't cycled for over 3 years, but those A59 miles should've/could've been avoided as they took the enjoyment out of the ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
How life and attitudes can quickly change.
Since I started this thread my wife became very ill and my driving restricted to local shopping (she recently passed away).
My point being that I have been asked to consider driving to Cornwall next year (350+ miles) and I don't think I could do it!
This from a guy that drove all over Europe for both job and pleasure.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
How life and attitudes can quickly change.
Since I started this thread my wife became very ill and my driving restricted to local shopping (she recently passed away).
My point being that I have been asked to consider driving to Cornwall next year (350+ miles) and I don't think I could do it!
This from a guy that drove all over Europe for both job and pleasure.
The last time I drove to Cornwall I had a very pleasant overnight stop in Bristol. I'd have done the whole journey in one go in the past. If stopping over is an option, I'd recommend it.

Top Bottom