Which roads/motorways do you really hate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Fully retired now but spent many years driving all over the country. Like many I listen to the travel news and often thank gawd I am not "there". One I hated was the A14..... bad luck maybe but I regularly hit jams there.
M25 was hit and miss but the A13 was dreadful.
Whats your hated road

PaulSB

Legendary Member
M6 with a vengeance and especially the section between J19 and 22. I commuted to J19, when I started working there it was 45 minutes, by the time I retired under 90 minutes was a result.

I still punch the air with glee when I hear a traffic report for J19-22.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't drive. From a cycling perspective, I hate ALL busy roads (scenic or not), and ALL ugly roads (busy or not)!

I went to watch the TdF finish in Brighton with my b-i-l many years ago and we got stuck in a jam on the M25 on our way home. I got really stressed by the fact that we moved less than 100 metres in an hour. He couldn't understand why it bothered me... "Oh, it isn't unusual - it often gets like this." :eek:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Predictably the M25 as it offers the full gamut of things to hate in a road; congestion, peanut drivers and especially the sections that are so badly surfaced it feels like you're running on a flat tyre so make the few occasions that you can travel at a reasonable speed utterly hateful.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Fully retired now but spent many years driving all over the country. Like many I listen to the travel news and often thank gawd I am not "there". One I hated was the A14..... bad luck maybe but I regularly hit jams there.
M25 was hit and miss but the A13 was dreadful.
Whats your hated road
The A14 between the M11 and the A1(M) used to be a real pain but it's now pretty smooth. I dislike driving on the M1 and will go out of my way to use the A1 instead, much to Google Map's disgruntlement.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used to hate the M6 and once wrote a poem entitled "A Bad Night on the M6" to commemorate a particularly bad night with heavy rain and poor viz. With the VW T2 I had then which was underpowered for southern motorways I had to tailgate a truck to keep pace when we joined from S. Wales.
Nearer home the A884 and A861 are nice tourist routes to and from mainland but for working traffic with a ferry at each end on single track with everybody pushing as hard as possible in both directions it was always a strain with also a steep hill at Liddesdale.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
M6 with a vengeance and especially the section between J19 and 22. I commuted to J19, when I started working there it was 45 minutes, by the time I retired under 90 minutes was a result.

I still punch the air with glee when I hear a traffic report for J19-22.
Strangely the opposite for me. When I travelled north on the M6 it was always 0060 so was good.
However, travelling home from eg London I hit J19 at 1700 and it was a nightmare. I could put up with it as I was nearly home after a 400 mile journey.

A1101 generally, but the stretch between Welney and Wisbech in particular. It's narrow, a lot of blind bends and water-filled ditches either side. If I have to drive to Wisbech, I prefer to take the long way round via Chatteris.

40 Foot Bank between Chatteris and Peterborough is equally butt-clenching. It's a notorious accident blackspot, with cars often ending up in the water.

Top Bottom