Which roads/motorways do you really hate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
M6 between M5 junction and Blackpool junction.

And A42 between the end of M42 and the M1. For some reason, every time I hit that road, there is queuing traffic in the outside lane, with the inside lane near empty.

A470 between Cardiff & Pontypridd. Travel on that at peak times, and if you leave a sfe gap, somebody will fill it :sad: Though TBH, that has improved since the 50mph limit "to improve air quality" was imposed.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
M60 east of Manchester and M62 from Liverpool to M60. Spent too many hours on there sitting still or crawling along, for it to be a pleasure when they move freely.

Reactions: DRM

DRM

Guru
M606 into/out of Bradford, M62 j27 to j26, towards Bradford, and all the brainless idiots and their antisocial driving in Bradford, the smart motorways, especially M1 near Meadowhall (Sheffield) as the speed limits are all over the place, and drop stupidly at the drop of a hat, try NSL to 40 mph in one go! then back to 60 mph, the further north you get, the less aggressive the driving seems to be, so A1M, past Catterick is ok, A19 around Middlesbrough is busy, but not too bad, but soon calms down past boro, and even at the roadworks at Testo’s is generally quite laid back, even though there’s a lot of traffic heading for Nissan

Alex321

Veteran
Ah, the Northampton ring road... I always seem to get hopelessly lost there, even with a sat nav. :blush:
It's always been that way.

As a teenager, I often went with my parents to somewhere South-West, starting from Grantham, which often went via Northampton. We very rarely managed to exit Northampton on the intended road.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I hate all motorways. I have always avoided them. The part of the A470 I use is fabulous, I love it. Brilliant road.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Fully retired now but spent many years driving all over the country. Like many I listen to the travel news and often thank gawd I am not "there". One I hated was the A14..... bad luck maybe but I regularly hit jams there.
M25 was hit and miss but the A13 was dreadful.
Whats your hated road
The new section between Cambridge & the A1 has improved things massively

For me it's the M25/A282 anti-clockwise at the Dartford tunnels which seems to be a never ending queue and the M25 junction 28 with the A12 (also anti-clockwise to head north-east on the A12) due to the layout of the roundabout.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A1101 generally, but the stretch between Welney and Wisbech in particular. It's narrow, a lot of blind bends and water-filled ditches either side. If I have to drive to Wisbech, I prefer to take the long way round via Chatteris.

40 Foot Bank between Chatteris and Peterborough is equally butt-clenching. It's a notorious accident blackspot, with cars often ending up in the water.
When I was out your way earlier in the year I had to use the 16 Foot Bank (B1098) due to a road closure and can see why - long straight roads but with poor road surfaces and no barriers or verge before the drains. I believe the A47 Acle Straight has a similar problem.

Top Bottom