Which roads/motorways do you really hate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
M606 into/out of Bradford, M62 j27 to j26, towards Bradford, and all the brainless idiots and their antisocial driving in Bradford

Agree with you here. The closer you get to Bradford, the more dangerous other drivers are.

Son no. 2, who's just passed his driving test, had to go into Bradford for something. He arrived home with the question; "are all the car drivers in Bradford nutcases without a driving licence?"

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I very much dislike those roads without lights or white lines or cats eyes! Some country lanes round here are missing all three. How can that be safe on a dark wet night! Also, there's a stretch of the M65 from Accrington to Burnley and a stretch of the A59 bypassing Clitheroe without lights. 60, 70 and law breaking 80 and 90mph on unlit roads just isn't right to me! I keep to about 40 or 50mph on those stretches and see 'get out my fecking way':cursing: cars whizzing past me.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
When I was out your way earlier in the year I had to use the 16 Foot Bank (B1098) due to a road closure and can see why - long straight roads but with poor road surfaces and no barriers or verge before the drains. I believe the A47 Acle Straight has a similar problem.

This part of the Fens isn't too bad TBH, but road surfaces out here are very definitely... poor.

On the flip side, the tractor trailers tend to bounce lots of potatoes and onions into the verges, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Well, too much, anyway... :laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
I very much dislike those roads without lights or white lines or cats eyes! Some country lanes round here are missing all three. How can that be safe on a dark wet night!
They are also mainly missing other traffic :smile:

Which is why they are what I mainly ride. Very few miles of most of my rides have any of those things, and I regularly ride them after dark. In fact they are safer after dark, because when there is a motor vehicle round the bend, you can see their lights.

We all have different preferences :smile:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They are also mainly missing other traffic :smile:

Which is why they are what I mainly ride. Very few miles of most of my rides have any of those things, and I regularly ride them after dark. In fact they are safer after dark, because when there is a motor vehicle round the bend, you can see their lights.

We all have different preferences :smile:
Surely you must miss non existent white lines keeping you away from a 3 foot drop into a ditch though? 🤔

The continuous white line shows the edge of the carriageway. It can be especially useful when visibility is restricted, such as at night or in bad weather. It's discontinued in some places; for example, at junctions, lay-bys, entrances or other openings.

Alex321

Veteran
Surely you must miss non existent white lines keeping you away from a 3 foot drop into a ditch though? 🤔

The continuous white line shows the edge of the carriageway. It can be especially useful when visibility is restricted, such as at night or in bad weather. It's discontinued in some places; for example, at junctions, lay-bys, entrances or other openings.
Not usually, but there have been a couple of evenings recently when it has been foggy, and then it can be tricky. The firsts of those was really thick fog, and I couldn't go more than about 10-15mph while seeing the road far enough ahead.

But I have a 1600 lumen front light, and that is normally enough for me to see the edges of the road at up to about 30mph, faster if I know there are no sharp bends or potholes coming up.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not usually, but there have been a couple of evenings recently when it has been foggy, and then it can be tricky. The firsts of those was really thick fog, and I couldn't go more than about 10-15mph while seeing the road far enough ahead.

But I have a 1600 lumen front light, and that is normally enough for me to see the edges of the road at up to about 30mph, faster if I know there are no sharp bends or potholes coming up.
You have better sight, alertness and courage on the road than I have these days. And that's me saying that as a motorist to a cyclist, not a fellow cyclist to a cyclist.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The speed limits change every mile. If you can get round it without paying a fortune, congratulations!
It’s one of the rare places you get to see this speed limit sign:
1640683518650.png

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The section of the M25 near my was a noisy nightmare of concrete slabs when I first ventured onto it with my fresh new driving licence in the mid-to-late 80s. It still hasn't been resurfaced. Highways England would do well to learn a few lessons from their French counterparts.
And as far as traffic goes, the M42 is the one that seems worst, especially after the wonderful M6 Toll road.

At least UK motorways are mostly okay as long as you avoid the morning and evening rush.
Venture across the channel to Antwerp, and the ring road is dire almost any time of day.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The section of the M25 near my was a noisy nightmare of concrete slabs when I first ventured onto it with my fresh new driving licence in the mid-to-late 80s. It still hasn't been resurfaced.
Junctions 8-10 are particularly bad for road noise.
Who thought a concrete surface was a good idea.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Junctions 8-10 are particularly bad for road noise.
Who thought a concrete surface was a good idea.
There was a "whispering concrete" in the 90s which used a different surface texture (and presumably no or fewer expansion joints). It did reduce noise, although not as successfully or cheaply as other surface options.

Top Bottom