Which roads/motorways do you really hate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When motorways are quiet I'm ok, but when it's a busy one I just keep in the 'slow' lane doing 60mph at most. If I see the hard shoulder has been bollarded off for miles ahead I have slight panic attacks as that 'place of safety' isn't there if I need to pull over!!:unsure:
Last winter my sister was driving in the middle lane on a busy motorway when her car's engine suddenly cut out. There was continuous traffic in the inside lane but fortunately some of those drivers spotted what was happening and left a gap for her to coast through to the hard shoulder!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
her car's engine suddenly cut out. There was continuous traffic in the inside lane but fortunately some of those drivers spotted what was happening and left a gap for her to coast through to the hard shoulder!
Imagine if they hadn't let her in though!:ohmy: This is why I keep in the lane next to the hard shoulder, I rarely venture out of it, maybe doing so to overtake that 'massive' wagon in front of me doing 45 to 50 mph, but even then I'd fear a panic attack as I was half way past the thing, thinking "what If I faint' or something"! :unsure: Small cars like my Fiat 500 aren't really meant for motorway use! :unsure:

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm not sure if it's M5 or M6, but going past Birmingham northbound where there are loads of joins in the road. Feels like you're driving along railway sleepers. And usually very busy, narrow lanes and some comparatively tight bends

Might be the top section of the M5 from West Bromwich down to the next junction.

Mike_P

Guru
Small cars like my Fiat 500 aren't really meant for motorway use! :unsure:
Remember driving a Fiat Cinquecento, a replacement car from the garage servicing my Punto, down the A1 along the busy section where the A64 traffic has joined and the M1 starts such that the A1 becomes the inside lane of a 4 lane road. There was a HGV either side of me and I could clearly see under their trailers.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Remember driving a Fiat Cinquecento, a replacement car from the garage servicing my Punto, down the A1 along the busy section where the A64 traffic has joined and the M1 starts such that the A1 becomes the inside lane of a 4 lane road. There was a HGV either side of me and I could clearly see under their trailers.

Scary!! :unsure:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Last winter my sister was driving in the middle lane on a busy motorway when her car's engine suddenly cut out. There was continuous traffic in the inside lane but fortunately some of those drivers spotted what was happening and left a gap for her to coast through to the hard shoulder!

A few years ago my son commuted weekly from Oban to Norfolk in his company pickup. Somewhere around Birmingham his engine cut out in the fast lane and he would have been doing at least 70mph mph. A lorry driver realised quickly what had happened and moved to block traffic behind thus letting him reach the hard shoulder. That vehicle model was prone to that and he took it back to the main agent and demanded a replacement of a different model as it was a health and safety hazard. They said they would have to get instructions from the health and safety manager. He was the H&S manager.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Any of the motorways around Birmingham.

Mike_P

Guru
Daft restriction on the M1 smart motorway through Derbyshire a couple of weeks bakck. Broken down vehicle Ahead was the warning - which was current except it was on an adjoining slip road. The only advantage that it has is the average speed cameras which at least makes traffic move along at roughly the same speeds - 50 on the inside, upto 70 on the rest although on the hills with three lanes of lorries and everyone else in the outside its more often than not c.40-45-50-55. Does mean there are two middle lanes for those who must stay in lane despite going too slow resulting everyone going faster often being forced into the outside lane and some resorting to undertaking.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Anything with more than three lanes in each direction, as lane discipline goes right out of the window. No-one uses lane 1 at all and there are invariably 60mph lane-hoggers in lane 3, overtaking nothing whatsoever. Anyone wanting to drive at 70mph has one lane left to pass in, unless they undertake.

Alex321

Veteran
Anything with more than three lanes in each direction, as lane discipline goes right out of the window. No-one uses lane 1 at all and there are invariably 60mph lane-hoggers in lane 3, overtaking nothing whatsoever. Anyone wanting to drive at 70mph has one lane left to pass in, unless they undertake.

Can't say I've ever seen that on the 4 lane sections of M5 & M6 I use going to and from Scotland. Last trip being last week - driving up on Monday, back Thursday.

Not a ‘hate’, but l don’t like the ‘new’ A1 between FerryBridge & HookMoor

Whenever possible, I’ll drive via;
Castleford > Barnsdale Road > ‘Mary Pannall’ > ‘Peckfield Bar’ > (Roman) Ridge Road > HookMoor

Then dependant on whether it’s an A1 journey, or A64
A1; through Aberford (even with caravan) > onto A1, at ‘Bramham Crossroads’

A64; pass Lotherton Hall > ‘Crooked Billet’ > Towton > ‘Tadcaster Turnpike’ > onto A64, at Tadcaster

Jameshow

Veteran
Not a ‘hate’, but l don’t like the ‘new’ A1 between FerryBridge & HookMoor

Whenever possible, I’ll drive via;
Castleford > Barnsdale Road > ‘Mary Pannall’ > ‘Peckfield Bar’ > (Roman) Ridge Road > HookMoor

Then dependant on whether it’s an A1 journey, or A64
A1; through Aberford (even with caravan) > onto A1, at ‘Bramham Crossroads’

A64; pass Lotherton Hall > ‘Crooked Billet’ > Towton > ‘Tadcaster Turnpike’ > onto A64, at Tadcaster

Why don't you like it?

Top Bottom