Which route planning site to use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There are loads... for starters..

Bike Hike
Map My Ride
Bikely
Veloroutes

jimboalee

As I was so severley scolded a few months ago, I shall now agree with what was said THEN...

They are NOT 'planning' sites. They are 'ANALYSIS' sites.

They are NOT designed to be 'route planners', but merely facilities where a cyclist can review and analyse the route they have BEEN.

For route planning, consultation with Ordnance Survey and local council pdf leaflets will inform you of any 'Cyclist paths' and alternatives to busy roads and complex junctions.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I find them useful for planning routes, just as OS maps are sometimes useful for analysis.All too often the local council leaflets (in this area anyway) seem to assume that all cyclists are beginners riding MTBs, and have little or no information regarding quality of surface on dedicated cycle tracks - on disused railway or canal towpath routes for example, which experience has taught are likely to be too rough for comfort on most road bikes

jimboalee

My vote is ViaMichelin.
Accompany it with Streetmap.co.uk on 1:25,000 scale to see the chevrons; and trace the route on Mapsource putting 'Avoids' on the dangerous roads and the inclines with two chevrons.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
jimboalee said:
As I was so severley scolded a few months ago, I shall now agree with what was said THEN...

They are NOT 'planning' sites. They are 'ANALYSIS' sites.

They are NOT designed to be 'route planners', but merely facilities where a cyclist can review and analyse the route they have BEEN.

For route planning, consultation with Ordnance Survey and local council pdf leaflets will inform you of any 'Cyclist paths' and alternatives to busy roads and complex junctions.

Wrong, cyclestreets.net is a cycling specific route planning site, which does have 'Cyclist paths' and alternatives to busy roads and complex junctions.

Also take a look at bikemap.net, which uses open cycle map.

zacklaws

Guru
youngoldbloke said:

It looked a bit different this site so I thought I would plot tomorrows ride on it.

When I downloaded it into Training centre and looked at it I could not stop laughing. My 56 mile route has been calculated to take only 13 minutes, avg speed 251mph and the max speed 2167mph. Its even plotted on a steep uphill that I should be doing 1289mph.

I know its an American site but surly they know the difference between a push bike and an F15. I do not think I will be racing my virtual opponent on my Edge 305 somehow tommorow.

jimboalee

HJ said:
Wrong, cyclestreets.net is a cycling specific route planning site, which does have 'Cyclist paths' and alternatives to busy roads and complex junctions.

Also take a look at bikemap.net, which uses open cycle map.

If it will annoy you even more, if I decide to ride to some town somewhere ( for instance Wolverhampton. Sorry W, "City". ) I will select Wolverhampton on my Garmin and follow the pink line.
I have Topo GB set up to Avoid any roads that have an 'M' prefix. Any other road is "Fair game", including Birmingham's inner ring, West Bromwich by-pass, the Black Country 'spine corridor' and Wolves inner ring.

ALL you need are nerves of steel and a turn of pace capable of keeping with the buses.:wacko:

Top Bottom